~ 18 ~

Auro's arms were crossed, as was his expression while standing in front of the cell in which held Lustris. She smirked at the prince as she walked back and forth in the small area.

"You won't come in a moment?" she asked, her voice sounded silky and sultry. "We've been apart far too long. Surely, you miss my touch."

Auro didn't speak at first. Mostly, because he knew Lustris was trying to get him to react. Lash out at her.

"I don't miss it," he said, shaking his head. "If I did, I think I'd have been here before now and had tried to get you out. Don't you think?"

"That does sound like you," the girl said with a knowing smirk. "Sadly, that's how it is, isn't Auro? You let the Prophecy guide your feelings away from me."

"You did that all on your own. I spoke to my father about it. Even if you have never tried to do the things you did, and whether I let the Prophecy change my feelings or not . . . It was all my choice what to do about it. When you appeared over my head in the night with a dagger, that was what told me what I needed to know."

Auro stepped away from the cell door and slowly raised his hand. The stone in his palm glimmered to life. Flurries of snow began to fall from nowhere. Lustris gasped raised her eyes to the stone ceiling. Then, the snow fell harder, faster. The cell floor was soon covered in white. The snow stacked and froze higher, and higher. Soon, Lustris' legs were knee-deep.

"Auro," she cried, looking at him with a frantic gaze as she rubbed her arms. "What are you doing? What would my brother think of you if you killed me?"

"I'm not going to kill you," Auro replied, letting his hand fall to his side, and the snow ceased to fall. "Your mind will."

He turned away and walked toward the other room. He found Aleia sitting stiffly in a corner. She stared straight ahead, not even turning when he sat next to her.

"You okay?" Auro asked, slipping his arm around her shoulders.

"I need to get to Goowrark," Aleia replied, breaking from her trance and looking into his eyes. "I need to get there today. And the only one I can bring with me is you. Arcano can make us the portal, but he'll have to stay behind."

"Okay . . . then let's get something together and leave. I'm just concerned about how we'll get back."

"Leave that to me."

Auro raised an eyebrow at Aleia's confident answer. But thus far, Aleia had proven to him she could handle quite a bit.

"You've magic up your sleeve," he said, kissing her temple. "Shall we leave?"

He stood upright with his hand extended to her. Aleia took a deep breath and took it. Auro pulled her to her feet. She gazed up at him; he could see that she was worried. Scared. It was written in her eyes.

"I won't leave your side," Auro whispered, squeezing her hand. "I promise."

"Thank you," Aleia whispered back, her shoulders relaxed. Auro gave her one last hug before they turned and went to where the others stood. Lumin had just finished preparing a travel pack. One for Auro and one for Aleia.

"Be careful," he said as he handed each pack to them.

"We will," Auro replied, accepting the extended handshake. "The prisoner might need a blanket. There was a . . . snowstorm, of sorts."

Lumin grinned, "You still care," he said, shaking his head. "You shouldn't care anymore."

"I don't care, I'm doing you a favor. You won't find a corpse the next time you see her. But possibly near to one . . . I'm told, the mind can play such wonderful tricks."

"Quite so," Lumin turned to Aleia, who was fidgeting with the shoulder-straps of her pack. "Take care of him, Aleia. I don't think he deserves any more heartbreak."

She smiled, "I'll do my best," she replied, standing a little taller.

Auro took her hand as they turned towards the bunker entrance. Arcano stood with his back facing them as he waved his hands in synchronized motions.

"I can only get you as far as the nearest town known to be near Goowrark," he said, glancing over his shoulder. "You will need to go on from there."

"Right," Aleia replied, clutching to Auro's arm as she spoke to him in a lower voice. "I thought I'd say goodbye to my dad before we left."

"I'm sorry," Auro whispered back. "I haven't seen him since before I went to see Lustris."

She nodded and took a deep breath as the portal opened. She could see a quaint little town on the other side.

"I wish you luck on your travels," Arcano said as he stood aside to let the pair through. "Aleia, you know how to summon me to open a portal on your end?"

"Yes," she nodded, "Thank you."

Arcano offered a smile, "Hurry before it closes."

Aleia and Auro exchanged a quick look and nodded. They were ready. They walked through the portal, stepping into the warmth of the morning sunlight. Aleia closed her eyes, raising her face to absorb the warmth.

"I'm warmer now," she says, opening her eyes and turning to look back at the portal. But it was already closed. All that remained was a soft mist, a bronze-like glow of magical residue.

"I've never come here before," Auro said, drawing Aleia's attention back to the road, which led to the town. "I've seen almost all of Anerathia, but . . . Why haven't I been here?"

"I guess we'll find out," she replied, rubbing his arm.

He nodded and the two began walking towards the town gate.

***

Ruperto grinned as he sparred with Inanis. He felt exhilarated. Holding a real sword, clashing it against another as he blocked the blow.

"You are doing well," Inanis said as he ended the spar. "You're adapting techniques quickly."

"My brain is like a sponge," Ruperto replied, shrugging as he sheathed the weapon. "Can I ask you something?"

"I'll do my best to give you an answer."

With a nod, Ruperto glanced down the hall. One that led to the cell where Lustris still sat in waiting.

"What's the deal with that girl?" he asked, turning back to Inanis. "I got that she is Lumin's sister, was good friends with Auro . . . what did she do?"

Inanis was thoughtful a moment. As if thinking whether or not to answer the question.

"Anaemis used dark magic to possess Lustris," Inanis explained with soft hesitation. "He used her to get close to Auro and she nearly killed him. As far as I know, a trial was not pursued cause Lustris was under influence. She was pushed through as if nothing had happened, working on the Royal Guard."

Ruperto's eyes grew wide. "Why was she left off the hook? Why didn't Auro press into it?"

"I believe the prince acted out of mercy."

The two fell silent and didn't speak on it further. As if there was an unspoken agreement.

"Inanis," Spiris appeared from nowhere. "Lord Emberhand wishes to speak with you. I'll spar Ruperto."

Inanis was gone in the blink of an eye. Spiris sighed and turned to Ruperto.

"Spar against a real warrior?" he asked, conjuring a weapon into his hand.