~ 29 ~

"I don't think I can do it," Inanis whispered, frozen where he stood.

"No one is forcing you," Kinasha said, touching his cheek. "We can leave."

"Yes," Aleia agreed, nodding. "We can turn around right now and march right on out of here."

"But I haven't been here since . . . since it happened."

Aleia and Kinasha exchanged a glance. Inanis had decided he wanted to visit his sister's grave. He wanted to move forward. Come to peace with the matter. And he had asked for both Aleia and Kinasha to go with him.

"How about this?" Aleia said, hooking her arm with Kinasha's and giving Inanis a gentle look. "Nasha and I will walk around. You'll have time alone to talk to her. Talking to her might just be what you need."

Inanis met her gaze and held it for a moment. He nodded, but no smile came to his face. Kinasha stood on her toe and pressed a kiss to his cheek. Aleia touched his arm, and then the two left him. He looked towards the end of the graveyard. Inanis had yet to pass through the gate, which separated his family's plots. One headstone stood out from the others. It was the color of lavenders, which also surrounded the stone. Glint's favorite flowers.

Inanis reached into his pocket as he stepped forward. Each step pressed down in his chest. The pain he'd always hidden away. He paused when he saw the headstone of his grandfather. A great warrior and soldier in the King's army. Inanis brought his hand out of his pocket and held up a necklace of black beads. Tears fell from Inanis' eyes as he turned towards the smallest of the headstones. The words 'Beloved Daughter and Sister' brought him to his knees, and he cried more.

"Glint," he whispered, clutching the beads in his fist. "I'm so sorry. I broke my promise. My promise to protect you and keep you away from harm. A vow is broken by my very existence. Neither of us could have known it would happen. My only regret is that I wish it were me instead."

Inanis sniffed and covered his eyes with his other hand.

"You were so young," he went on, letting his hand fall to his side. "You had your entire life ahead of you. And you were my best friend. If you were here now, I would never let you out of my sight. It would be like old times. Only I would be better prepared how to keep you from getting hurt."

Inanis looked at the beads in his hand.

"I'm sorry for not visiting," he decided to change his tune, settling down to sit more comfortably. "A lot has happened in the last few years. Spiris and I ran away from home. We tried to use our abilities for evil. That did not go according to plan. So, now we're working with the Prince. Can you believe it? I'm friends with the Prince now." Inanis began laughing because he never would've thought he'd be friends with the prince. "He's going to be a great leader. And his beloved is lovely. Aleia. I think you and her would have been good friends. I haven't told anyone . . . She reminds me of you. All the time."

The tears were falling again. Inanis closed his eyes. A gentle breeze blew his hair into his face. And for some reason, that breeze made him feel better. All the pain, the sadness. It was still there. But something was soothing it. It wasn't like when Kinasha had taken the pain upon herself.

"Mother could have brought you back," Inanis whispered, looking back at the headstone. "But she didn't. She and Father blamed me for your death. Though it was partially my fault, you would never blame me. I know that now. I've lived with that guilt for so long. And yet, Spiris has not left my side. He has been at my side despite it all. In spite of the stares. I think you would be proud of your brothers. We're not the reckless boys we once were."

"No, we're not."

Inanis looked over his shoulder as Spiris joined him.

"I told you I would get him to visit soon enough," Spiris joked while glancing at his twin. "We both know he's always had it harder than the rest of us. It's because he cares and not many understand him. But they are beginning to."

The brothers shared a glance as silence fell over them. Inanis didn't know what to say. But then he found his voice and threw his arms around Spiris.

"You've always been there for me," he said as his brother returned the embrace. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"You have found yourself in the light again," Spiris replied as they pulled apart. "But I couldn't have let you find it on your own. And yes, Mother could have brought Glint back."

"Why didn't she?" Inanis asked, lowering his voice as he turned back to Glint's name on the headstone.

"I don't think we'll ever know, brother. Our parents left. They cut us off."

"That was because of me, and you followed."

"Yes. But I would be with someone who meant well, rather than following in our parents' footsteps. Which is not what we're doing. They joined served the King through name and birthright. We serve from recruitment and trust. And speaking of trust. I think you should trust Aleia and tell her more about Glint."

"In what manner?"

Inanis sighed and looked towards the girls. They were standing near a wall. Aleia was saying something to Kinasha. And for a moment, she held up her hands to create circles around her eyes. And Inanis saw Glint. Something stirred within him. He couldn't ignore it.

Inanis stood and ran across the graveyard. For the first time in . . . he didn't know how long. But for the first time in so long, Inanis felt Glint's spirit with him. He ran to Aleia and clung to her.

"Oh, hello there," Aleia said with a nervous laugh. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Glint," Spiris replied, joining the group. "The words Inanis cannot find to say is that you remind him of Glint."

Aleia didn't speak. She didn't need to. Her arms were around Inanis' waist and she hugged him with all her might. Kinasha smiled while watching the exchange. And when the moment ended, Inanis turned to her. His eyes told her what he felt, and she nodded.

"I love you too," she said as he reached for her. "So much."

Inanis nodded, unable to speak. He slid an arm around Kinasha's shoulders and squeezed gently.

"Auro will be wondering where I've gone," Aleia spoke up, blinking her eyes to stop the tears. "And my dad. And most of the kingdom, I guess."

"We will return you safely," Spiris replied, motioning towards the path that led out of the graveyard.

"Lead the way, sir. Can't have my fiance worrying about my safety. Sheesh, it's weird to think I'm getting married. I'm barely eighteen."

Inanis had to laugh. Because for some reason, he felt Glint would have said the very same thing.