~ 24 ~

Kinasha smiled; the sixteen-year-old wiggled her fingers at the goblet, which hovered above the table. The liquid contents sloshed and dripped on the wooden surface, but did not spill over. Her legs were crossed and propped up on the table. When the bell above the door to her grandmother's shop rang, she snapped and the goblet landed on the table with a gentle thunk. Kinasha dropped her legs and stood from her chair. She was surprised to see a pair of tall, cloaked figures at the front counter.

"Can I be of service to you?" she asks, leaning her arms on the smooth surface. "We are not reading palms at this time, but all other services are available."

"Hello Kinasha."

The first of the two removed his cloak and the girl gasped.

"Inanis, is that you?"

He didn't smile, just stared at her with his dark eyes.

"Are you going to sound an alarm to Anaemis?" he asked, leaning his hands on the counter. "I would like to get this done quietly and without his knowledge."

"I'm not certain," Kinasha replied, standing straighter as brought her right hand to rest on her cheek. "I am a valid asset to his plans. I'm stronger than even you, he said."

"I know this and I do not plan to dispute with you. Will you hear me out before you make your choice?"

She glanced at Inanis' companion and shook her head when Spiris revealed his face.

"I will hear you," she said, motioning to the door behind her. "We can speak back here."

Kinasha led the way and held the door open to let Inanis and Spiris though. She glanced around the front of the shop and then closed the door.

"I heard Anaemis was furious when you sided with Emberhand," Kinasha said as the three sat around the table.

"I'm sure he was," Inanis replied, shrugging. "Not our concern anymore. I'm here for a favor. You owe me."

"You know very well that I respect the concept of debt."

"We would be even if you helped us."

Kinasha raised an eyebrow. "If you are lying, I will not hesitate to implode your innards."

"I would expect nothing less," Spiris sat back in his chair, never looking away from her. "Might I ask, what has Anaemis promised you in exchange for your allegiance to him?"

"He said I would Host the Spirit Queen's soul," she explained, also sitting back and turning her gaze to the goblet in the center of the table. "He led a stupid Elemental to believe she would be queen. But he lied."

Kinasha snapped her fingers and raised the goblet into the air with her mind.

"Lustris?" Inanis asked with a calm demeanor.

"That was her name, yes," she replied, smiling at the goblet. "Anaemis needed someone to transport the Queen's soul safely. Once the Soul was safe, I would perform the ritual and have the Soul transferred to me. Lustris was always a means to an end. Pity, really."

Kinasha brought the goblet back to the table's surface. Right as she turned her gaze to the twins, she caught them exchanging a look.

"What?" she asked, standing with her palms on the table.

"We have reason to believe the Spirit Queen has already found her Host," Spiris replied, in a somewhat somber tone. "As well as the King of Peace, Utmjir."

The girl frowned and glanced away. But then she looked directly into Inanis' eyes.

"How can I repay my debt?"