~ 36 ~

It was the evening before the battle. Or rather, the evening before the King would meet with Anaemis and try to reason with him. Aleia would be present, as would Auro and the war council.

Aleia sat up in bed. Unable to sleep. She wished Azris or Askan had come to her room, but they were with Ronell and Ruperto. Antesro slept at the foot of her bed, but Aleia hadn't grown used to his presence yet. There came a gentle knock at the door. Aleia rose from her bed and went to see who it might be.

"Auro?" she whispered when she saw the silver-white hair.

"Thought you might like the company," he said, slipping into her room and closing the door. "I can't sleep. I'm restless and worried about tomorrow."

"Me too."

Auro took Aleia's hand, leading her back to the bed. He climbed into the center and pulled her to his lap.

"Don't you think it's a bad plan to have me meet Anaemis?" Aleia whispered, curling into Auro's chest. "Won't that just fuel his hatred?"

"It might," he replied, rubbing her shoulder. "I've voiced this very concern to my father and the council . . . But it seems to be the one tactic they are unwilling to change."

Auro felt her shoulders stiffen.

"I won't let anything happen to you," he went on, lifting her chin. "You're destined for amazing things. My destiny has always been to be at your side, as your protector. And it's not just me. You have armies willing to stand at your side. We've made allies these last weeks. You've learned all you can in such a short time period . . . We just have trust that it is enough to keep you from harm's way."

"I could have learned more," Aleia said with a sigh. "If I had come here sooner . . ."

"We will never know if that would have helped. Timing was not entirely up to us . . . I also wish you had come sooner."

The pair fell silent. Antesro soon joined them and slept at their feet. He purred and the sound calmed Aleia. Soon, both she and Auro fell into a peaceful sleep.

***

Abrus was restless. Purety slept in the cot at his side. It was the safest place for her. Abrus had overheard Anaemis tell one of his henchmen that the King would be meeting with them in the morning. To discuss terms. Possibly in hopes of preventing the battle, though it was now inevitable. He wanted to be there. To surrender himself to the King. If his life were the cost, he would make sure Purety was as far away from the madman as possible.

***

Spiris wandered the dark halls. Restless. He was angry with himself for the mess he and Aleia had caused in the morgue. He knew the girl's soul had entered Lustris' body without a problem. But they hadn't been prepared for the aftermath.

When Spiris had felt the girl's soul cling to the empty body, something came over him. It was a sense of familiarity. He'd thought it was because of Lustris' body. But it was not. It was deeper. The sensation had surprised him. And when the girl rose from the table, there'd been a flash of light. And then she was gone. Aleia had screamed. Spiris had shouted.

"Thank you."

Spiris jumped and turned in a circle. He found a young girl, with a purple veil over her dark hair, standing beneath one of the torches that lit the hallway.

"Who are you?" he asked, staring at her.

"I am not whomever this girl once was," she replied, shaking her head and pulling her shawl tight around her shoulders. "I have been lost for so many years. I remember my death every day. Vividly. More could have been done. But . . ."

The girl paused and a tear fell from her eye.

"I heard there is a war coming," she said, standing taller. "I wish to help, Spiris. My gift is dangerous, but I've always known I would use it for good. When I saw you and Inanis, I knew it was time. And then Aleia was the only one to see me at first."

"What is your name?" Spiris asked, hoping to have a real answer.

The girl opened her mouth but hesitated, and then replied, "Twileigh. My name is Twileigh."

***

In the early morning, Auro and Aleia were quick to find their way to the armory. Antesro and Flayke were in their company. Flayke perched on Auro's shoulder, Antesro prowling at Aleia's side. The soldiers bowed as the Prince passed. Some were shocked to see the Lion, but they did not question the Familiar.

"Father," Auro said when they reached the King, who was hovered of his battle plans.

"Auro," he said, placing his hand on the boy's shoulder. "Aleia; I apologize to you both for this. But remember, keep your faith and your future in sight. It will help you move forward moments of darkness. And believe me, there will be darkness threatening to consume you."

Aleia looked at Auro. He reached for her hand, squeezing it gently.

"I'll never leave your side," he said, shaking his head.

She nodded and clung to his arm.

"Aleia," her father said, appearing nearby. "This is for you."

He held up a gold pin. It was simple, with only the face of a lion and a single flower vine upon the surface.

"This was your mother's," he said as he pinned the emblem to Aleia's collar. "Wear it with pride."

Aleia touched the crest and nodded. Her mother had worn this pin. She would wear it proudly and with dignity. Aleia glanced at Auro and saw that his father was pinning something to his collar as well. But she couldn't quite tell what it looked like.

"Aleia?"

She turned and found Spiris coming towards her.

"I found her," he said, looking into her eyes. "Her name is Twileigh. She wants to help. Just needs to gather her bearings. She will meet us on the battlefield. After she has figured out what her abilities actually are."

Aleia nodded, "So she's alright?" she asked. "That's actually excellent news. Alert me the moment she joins us."

"Yes, your highness."

She startled at the use of the term, but she knew she had to get used to it. As of today, she was Lady Aleia, Daughter of Emberhand. Betrothed of Prince Auro.