Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

---------

Things were off before I even stepped into the school. I heard people whispering rather loudly (people need to learn how to whisper) ad I knew it was just the beginning.

"I heard Derric found his Cinderella."

"That whole thing is so pathetic."

"Why did it take him so long? Did he slide into her DMs wrong?"

"I heard it was a prank and they wanted attention."

"I wouldn't put it past him."

"I thought it was kind of romantic."

None of the rumors mentioned my name, but I knew it was coming. The apocalypse was coming and I was armed with a paperclip. This could be the end of me, which is sadly not a hyperbole.

I kept my head low trying to tune out the side conversations about this whole Cinderella business. Didn't people have better things to talk about?

The halls were crowded as students began making their way to class. Someone came too close to my right side and I could barely make out their profile in my peripheral.

I was seconds away from moving from this person getting too close when recognition came pouring in.

"What's wrong?" It was Edmon. He was look straight ahead pretending to be coincidentally heading in the same direction. I didn't have the heart to tell him pretending was pointless now.

"I can't talk right now." I try to brush him off but he was persistent.

"You've been avoiding my texts." Not by choice.

"I can't be doing this now."

"This is a good cover, just talk to me."

"Leave me alone Edmon." I say in a low harsh tone. "I don't need you breathing down my neck too." I brush past his shoulder and keep walking telling myself not to look back at his shocked hurt face.

It was for his own good. It was for his own good, I repeated this to myself throughout first period like a mantra.

The less time he spent near me know what the Terror Trio know, the more leverage I have to get them to leave him alone. Plus I know if they seem me with him it will only anger them more putting both of us in danger.

I wish there was a way of communicating blackmail with a look. That would simplify my problems tenfold.

-------------

By the time lunch came around and I was unscathed I knew the worst was yet to cut. The morning was just the calm before the storm because as soon as I walked into that cafeteria shit would hit the fan.

I guess I was standing by the doors motionless for too long that a random girl brushed past me with a loud huff and pushed me inside mumbling about how everyone was such a loser.

Harper made eye contact with me and had Sophia quickly drag me to their table. Their friends starting laughing once they saw me, and I know this for a fact because one of them boldly pointed at my shirt and said "That's what she's wearing!"

The others followed in their ridicule and Emma stood above them like a proud mother. What a sicko.

"We're going to have so much fun destroying you." She said giving her dark hair an overzealous flip.

"You don't have to do this you know." It was a last ditch effort.

"Oh look." She turns to face her friends. "She's begging for mercy. Isn't she so pathetic?" Cue the obnoxious laughter.