Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Summer transitioned to fall and the smell of pumpkin was everywhere. Living with three step-sisters who acted like pumpkin spice was air made my life more of a living hell. I desperately wanted to spill their precious lattes and smash one of their nauseating candles that illuminated the house.

If I didn't put those damn candles out every night, they would've burnt the house down, and somehow it would've been all my fault.

Fortunately winter came quick, and the days got shorter even if it didn't feel like it. I had to wake up hearing Harper complain about how her sweaters weren't form fitting enough to show off her "rockin bod".

This made the other two chime in and whine about the layers making them look like a shapeless figure and took the opportunity to poke fun at my figure.

I didn't pay any attention to it, the changes in weather didn't disrupt my exercise routine. Derric and I still did our daily runs, just earlier in the day when it was slightly warmer out.

I spent a chunk of my paycheck to buy winter workout gear. Why is fitness gear so expensive?

Anyway, it is the beginning of December and the town is set on holiday decorations while people at school are focused on Derric's blowout party.

I've been setting aside a little bit of money from each paycheck to buy Derric a proper birthday present. I want to get him something he likes that is worthwhile and meaningful.

Of course this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

"What's on your mind today Blondie?" Derric asks with a killer smile, tapping my head. I shoo his hand away and scowl.

"Just thinking." I reply vaguely.

"About?" He presses on.

"How infuriating you are." I say in a fake cheery voice.

"You do think about me!" He cheered, throwing his arm in the air for a fist bump.

"Only you could be so positive about someone calling you annoying." He's such an optimist, it's refreshing, but don't tell him I said that.

"And you are being a little Debbie-downer again." He ruffles my hair. We balance each other out with his peppiness and my pessimism.

"But now that we're serious again." He changed topics and tones so quickly I almost got whiplash. "What's your name?"

Swallowing nervously I managed to say, "You're getting tired of Blondie already?"

"Seriously, we've been friends for almost three months now. When am I going to learn this basic detail about you?" He brought up a good point, one I've pondered while lying awake at night.

"You know it's not about you. I desperately want to tell you, but I know the repercussions of that." He opened his mouth to speak. "I know you think you can handle whatever comes our way, but I don't want to risk it. Not until the time is right."

"And when would that be?" He asked me curiously, desperate for an answer. I only wish I had a concrete one to give him.

"Not yet." I shake my head.

"You're killing me Blondie!" I know he was trying to make light of a serious conversation and I appreciated it. Without him making me smile and Edmon keeping me grounded, I don't know how I would've survived.

"Let's make a bet." He changes his topics suddenly (he does that a lot).

"What's the prize?" I ask wearily, having every right to be cautious. Last time he picked me up and began running to build his "muscles", and I almost fell and broke my head.

"Bragging rights and a favor." He said the last part quickly so I wouldn't hear him. I shook my head at his lame attempts. Derric thinks his whistling could distract me, well the jokes on him because it didn't work, this time.

"Fine, you're on. Prepare to eat my shorts." I say as we stand behind an imaginary line.

"Right after you eat my bubbles." He shouts saying go as he's already running. I yell his name as I run to catch up to him.

"Cheater!"

"Slowpoke!" He calls over his shoulder sticking his tongue out at me.

I couldn't stop myself from laughing. Spending time with Derric always made me feel carefree and happy-go-lucky. He has that effect on people.

I make it to our makeshift finish line, a bench about 100 meters from where we started. I rest my hands on my knees and take in large breaths of frosty air.

"You cheated!" I managed to say in between breaths.

"I won, and there were no specific rules saying I couldn't run before we said go." He waved his finger in my face.

"Are you kidding me?"

"Now I believe that I, the rightful winner can cash in a favor." I wanted to slap the smugness right off his face.

"What do you want?" I ask, my hands on my hips preparing myself for a ridiculous request.

"Be my guest." Derric says proving me right.

"I don't follow."

"Come to my birthday party with me."

"As a date?" I ask unsurely.

"As whatever you want, just come with me." He was practically pleading.

"I don't know Der."

"I can change it to a masquerade, no one will know it's you with me. If I can't know your name, then at least allow me to spend time with you outside of the park."

If he only knew we have.

"Please Blondie, let this be my birthday present." I took one look at his puppy-dog eyes and knew I was a goner.

"Who am I to deny the birthday boy." I smile giving in. His whole face lights up and he pulls me into a hug, feeling his head on my shoulder. Derric is so ecstatic he begins swinging us around, and for once I don't mind.

I could be making the biggest mistake of my life, but in that moment I didn't care one bit. Then it was just me and Derric.

---------

"You did WHAT?!" There goes my eardrums.

"Calm down Edmon." I say knowing it was a futile effort.

"Just explain to me why you would so something like this." He sighs running a hand through his hair.

"I don't know." I avert my gaze from his intensifying glare.

"Yes you do, everything you do is for a calculated reason. Don't forget that I know you Adira." His voice softens as he places a hand on my shoulder taking a more gentler approach.

"It's my birthday present to him." That's the simple version anyway.

"You couldn't get him anything else?" I shook my head feeling like a small child being scolded.

"He's hard to shop for." I try to justify my actions, then it hits me like a ton of bricks. "It's my decision and I stand by it Ed."

Edmon stands up abruptly and throws his arms around me. I am suffocating in his embrace, but he's always been a bear hugger. I feel his chin resting on the top of my head and it's oddly comforting.

"I want to put you in a protective bubble." He whispers against my hair.

"It'll be easier to get around." I joke ruining the touchy moment. He doesn't seem to mind as I feel the vibration of his laughter mixing in with my own.