Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Repetition is important for a lot of things, like emphasizing a point or for stylistic purposes in a piece of literature, just not for making me relive the worst experiences of my life. You guessed it, I was dragged back to shop with the troublesome trio.

I was unwillingly dragged against my will to the car to be their chauffeur and drive them to the mall. Then I had to suffer through the sound of obnoxious teen pop songs in the car as they sing off pitch during bumper to bumper traffic.

There was no escape except jumping out of the car and the thought became more appealing by the moment.

Also, I was unsure if they were doing it intensiously or if they thought they were any good.

Either way it made me want to plug my ears until I could never hear again.

The second I pulled into the parking lot, their mindless chatter turned to Derric's big birthday bash as they put it

"What color would look best on me?"

"What neckline makes my waist look the smallest?"

"How low cut should I go?"

This continued getting progressively worse as the stores came into view and I was once again dragged like a rag doll. Then they started throwing clothes at me, until I resembled a human shopping cart.

The load in my arms was getting heavier and there were times I thought I was going to collapse. This may have been in part to the clothes blocking my face, it was becoming harder to breathe.

I was about to drop all the clothes and find a place to hide, (although my brain was telling me to ditch them and take the car home) when I heard something familiar.

"Derric!" Harper exclaimed, probably dinging her sharp nails into him.

"Hey girls." He says shyly trying to be polite. "I'm just about to head out now so I'll see you l-" They wouldn't even let him finish.

"You have to help us out." Emma says trying to guilt trip him, probably with her seductive smile.

"We need someone to help us pick out our dresses." I could just see her twirling her hair between her finger in an attempt to be charming.

"I'm actually quite busy." Derric mentions before trailing off. Something porobay captured his attention. I heard footsteps getting closer.

"Are you ok, do you need me to help you?" I feel a hand on my arm and knew he was talking to me. I'm surprised I was able to feel anything underneath all of the layers of clothing.

"She's fine." Sophia brushes off before diverting his sole attention to her. " Now how do I look in this?"

"Umm" I could hear the hesitation in his voice, and by shifting around, I could see his eyes lingering on me. He couldn't see who I was underneath this mountain of clothes, ignored my step-sisters and still offered to help me, this nameless girl that's he doesn't know (or doesn't think he knows).

My heart swells up in pride, and I can't help it. He's come so far from being that arrogant jerk months ago.

Soon enough Derric makes up an excuse and escapes their clutches. I'm sure he'll be traumatized by this whole encounter. But when the she-devils were at the register I managed to sneak away for a few minutes.

If I was going to go to the party, I should look into buying a dress. I browse through the rack, some of these were actually pretty cute for a store they picked out. And then I looked at the price tag.