Chapter Twenty Three

I had one chance to make this right. It was a high stakes kind of moment and I was slowly tying my shoes. I could be an olympic level procrastinator.

I wanted to clean up the mess I made with Derric. When I see him at the park I'm going to tell him who I am. The moment would be stripped of its prompt and frills, but a significant moment nonetheless.

Just as I was securing the final knot on my sneakers, I heard my phone vibrate several time in succession behind me. I stand up and begrudgingly walk over to my phone hoping the terror trio didn't set a bunch of alarms on it to mess with me. It turned out to be my boss with a series of urgent texts.

I know it's your day off, but I need you to come in. It's an emergency!

Maria threw up in the bathroom, I sent her home.

I'm short one waitress and it's the dinner rush.

I need you to come in as soon as you can.

I'll pay you time and a half.

It was clear she was desperate, and I made a choice to postpone my talk with Derric. Whether it would be a good choice or not, time will tell.

I packed my work uniform in a bag and pulled my jacket on. I opened my phone to send a quick text to Derric. The last thing I wanted was for him to think I was ignoring him.

I had to make sure he knew I wasn't scared away. He deserved answers and I wanted to let him know they were coming.

Hey Derric, can't make it today for our run, there was an emergency at work. I'll make it up to you tomorrow, with answers I promise.

I was about to press send when I heard Harper shout my name halfway across the house. I sighed and slipped my phone in my pocket.

"What?" I shouted back rushing out of the room.

----------

Derric

Paying attention at school proved to be a challenge. It was the Monday after my party, and I still couldn't get my mind off of my mystery girl.

We were so close, just a few syllables away and I couldn't grasp the sudden change.

"Dude, who was that hot blonde chick you were with?" My buddy Roy said hitting my shoulder. He was brash and crude at times, but a good friend and a great athlete.

"Yeah what's her number?" Hunter chimed in, as they ganged up in an attempt to tease me.

"Knock it off." I tell them, not in the mood for their immature behavior today.

"She looked smoking, why was she with you?"

"She is way out of your league man."

"What's her name?"

"She's certainly my type."

"I wouldn't mind getting to know her more." I didn't miss the innuendo in his voice, and I knew I had to interfere before things escalated.

"Don't talk about her like that man." She was a person, not a piece of meat or some type of toy for their amusement.

"Oooh, looks like we hit a nerve." Hunter shares a look with Roy who laughs.

"What's her name Der?" They continue to grill me. Just the mention of her name reminded me of what I was already at a loss to explain. As close as I think we were, there was always that vital piece of information looming over us.