Attempt

Sophia was sitting on the dark floor. Her back lay on a wooden log, and she couldn't pinpoint where she was since a torch dimly lit the room. "Where am I?" Sophia felt as if her arms and hands were tied.

She looked to the front and realized that she wasn't alone. There were a pair of feet by what she could make out of it. "Hello?" There was no answer. However, the young woman could tell that a man was hiding in the darkness. "H-Hello, I know you are there! Who are you?" There was still no response but some movement from the legs and feet. "Answer me, who are you!?"

After a long silence, she saw parts of the man's face, but some parts were covered by darkness. "I am..."

Sophia woke up from her sleep as she heard snoring and quiet groans throughout the interior of the building. Next to her was Estrid, who was still asleep. Sophia slowly sat up and noticed that the sun still had not set. She knew guards were outside but wondered if they were asleep or awake. Slowly and quietly, she tiptoed toward the exit to hear the guards outside. To her relief, the guards were asleep. It would be a matter of time before they woke up. This would be her chance to escape. Sophia slightly quietly opened the door to check the guards.

She tiptoed out of the house, making sure not to wake them—every step she took felt like an eternity. Once fully out, Sophia sneaked away from the slave quarters, always looking behind her. A smile crept on her lips. "Now it's my chance!" She ran. There was no one in sight and no one to stop her. "Freedom! I will finally be able to escape!"

The sun was setting soon, and people were making noises in their homes. Sophia knew that she had to get out quickly. She got closer to the exit, and she was filled with hope. Just when she was about to reach the exit, something rapidly wrapped her feet together, making her fall to the ground. It looked like a rope sling. 

"Ha! Ha! Ha! Trying to escape so soon?"

Sophia looked behind her and saw Itzvar with his arms crossed.

"Damn it! Let me go right now!" 

Itzvar rolled his eyes as he walked to the struggling woman. He stood before her and stopped her from trying to move away. "You disappoint me, woman. Did you believe that you could escape me?"

People slowly left their homes, and many noticed what was happening between them. No one said a thing. Some stayed inside their homes, while others walked outside for a clearer view. 

"I was about to, but luck would have it, you woke up."

"Oh, I was already awake. I had a hunch that you would try to escape." The guards from the slave quarters ran to them, hearing what was happening. "Oh, so you're all finally awake. How pathetic that you let this wench escape from her quarters."

"F-Forgive us, Lord Itzvar. We were about to wake. We-" 

The guard didn't finish since Itzvar got his axe and hit him across the face so hard it broke his jaw and parts of his skull. The Viking hit the other guard on top of his head, and the axe was stuck in his head. One guard was left, and Itzvar glared at him. "I hope you learned from your mistakes. If you fail your duties again, you will not have a quick and painless death like these two idiots. Understand?"

"Y-Yes, my Lord."

Itzvar looked at two male villagers. "You two, discard these bodies, feed them to the pigs or dogs if you must."

Sophia was horrified by what she witnessed. Nausea overwhelmed her, and she tried not to vomit. "You animal." 

The Viking slowly stood over her and kicked her across the stomach three times. Sophia groaned in pain with each kick. Itzvar then grabbed her hair, making her stand even though her feet were still tied, and put her over his shoulder, taking her away.

He took Sophia back to his home to get more privacy. Sophia felt dread as she was taken back to his place and couldn't stop thinking about the worst possibilities. She wanted to fight back and try to escape. However, after witnessing the brutal killing of those two men, it wouldn't be wise to anger him further. 

Once inside the house, Sophia glanced behind her. On Itvzar's bed was a young woman who was fully nude. It looked as if the young woman barely woke up from her slumber.  "Lord Itzvar, who is that woman?"

"None of your concern. Leave."

Jealousy was apparent in her eyes. "You want her now? Am I not enough for you?"

"Woman, don't test my patience anymore. I just killed two men for failing to obey my orders. Don't think I won't do the same with you. Leave if you want your pathetic life."

The nameless woman shivered as she wore her dress, leaving the two alone. Itzvar threw Sophia to the hard ground. She let out a painful groan. "You have no heart. Fiflthy coward."

"You dare call me a coward?" Itzvar grabbed parts of her hair again, giving a pull. Sophia put her hands on his, trying to make him let go. 

"I am telling you as it is. You call yourself a Viking, but look at you. So insecure. You are like a child trying to prove how tough you are. I find it sad that you use fear to keep your supposed power."

Itzvar's grip became tighter. "Stupid woman. You don't know when to keep your mouth shut."

Sophia felt irked. "I will find a way to escape; I am not the type of woman to give up. I would rather be anywhere but here. You can kill me now and be done with it if you want. Death would be better than being your slave. You sick man." 

Itzvar eyed her and smirked. "You are one foolish woman that I will surely enjoy breaking. I can kill you, but where would be the fun in that? You shall stay here and be my personal slave. I wish to fix that mouth of yours and make you know your place, woman."

She realized that she gave him more determination to try to tame her. Yet, she still had a chance to live. The more she was alive, the more opportunities she would have to escape. "The name is Sophia, not woman! You animal!"

Itzvar chuckled and let go of her hair. He sighed. "Since you tried to run away, you must be punished. I decided you will be in the punishment house to consider your actions. Rebellious slaves and servants would be chained without food or water. You will be free until you see if you have learned your lesson."

"What happens if I refuse to learn?" Sophia was slapped across the face but refused to make any sound; she glared at him.

"You will bend to my will. I will come out victorious. Now, you will see what happens to those who don't know how to obey."