Festivities

It was the day and time for the festivities, and everything was prepared. The villagers walked to the meeting hall, celebrating festivities and rituals. Many people brought wooden bowls or trays of food and drinks. Meanwhile, Sophia had just finished changing into a cleaner dress that Maja had given her. Sophia wore a white dress with light brown stripes on the corner of the sleeves and bottom part of the dress and a light brown apron over it. She also wore a handmade necklace made from rocks, shells, and stones. 

Sophia also braided her hair and then put it in a bun with a couple of strings. "You look lovely," said Estrid. Estrid was sitting on the cot. 

"Thanks. Are you sure you don't want to come along? You look to be a little better."

"I do feel a little better, but I should rest more. Perhaps by tomorrow, I can stand and gain my strength."

Sophia smiled. "Well, okay. I will come by and check on you once in a while. Maja will be here to pray to the gods. I guess she's not much of a partygoer." Estrid looked confused. "Oh, what I meant to say was that Maja seems to be the type who doesn't like going to festivities."

"Indeed, but people like Maja also believe that Odin has given the knowledge to heal people like Maja."

"So maybe that's what she means, that the gods have chosen me." Sophia let out a sigh. "Well, I'm heading out. Are you sure you will be okay?"

Estrid nodded as she motioned Sophia away. "Yes, go along now and have fun."

Sophia walked out of Maja's home and toward the meeting hall, where a few people entered. As she got closer to the big building, she could hear soft music and the sound of instruments. Sophia also saw many rows of long tables with wooden benches with bowls, plates, and trays of different food. Many villagers were sitting, eating, or drinking; others were dancing or talking.

Two guards with shields and spears looked at her; Sophia smiled nervously as she entered. The young woman felt nervous yet curious about the environment. She couldn't believe that she was in an actual Viking party. Sophia was in awe that she was part of history but still didn't know why or how she got into her current predicament. 

Sophia looked around, wondering where she should sit. Yet, she didn't know any besides Ragnar and his family; she felt awkward. "Sophia, you're here!"

Sophia looked down; it was one of the twin girls. "Oh, you are, uh, Hilda, right?"

"Yes, sometimes the people here confuse us, although my sister and I differ."

"Yeah, I could tell a little difference between you and your sister, especially your voices."

"My siblings and I noticed you walking and wanted to ask if you wish to sit with us?"

"I would love to." Hilda led Sophia to the front of the long table, closer to two handmade thrones. She knew it was for Ragnar and Largetha. The young woman saw Thyra and Fridleif sitting and eating.

"I brought Sophia with us!"

The children waved at Sophia and did the same as she sat on her spot. Sophia noticed an older woman getting a small wooden bowl putting some food in it, and giving it to Sophia. "Oh, thank you."

"This is Yrsa, the midwife who helped raise us," said Thyra.

Yrsa merely nodded as she continued to eat. Sophia looked down at her boiled meat, cheese, fish, and wheat bread plate. "Here, it is ale, just in case you get thirsty," said Fridleif.

Sophia looked at the cup of ale; it smelled sweet. However, she didn't drink alcohol, even during her time. However, ale was one of the essential drinks that Vikings drank, especially since there was not much fresh water to drink. Sophia took a sip of ale; it was bitter and sweet at the same time. She noticed that the children drank some ale. It shocked her, and she wanted to stop them, but times were different. Children in the Viking era also drank ale, but children only drank the less-alcohol version of ale. "Where are your mother and father?"

"They are getting ready."

Suddenly, all music stopped; people became silent. Everyone, including Sophia, saw Ragnar and Largetha walking into the building toward the thrones. The couple stood, but Largetha sat on her seat while Ragnar stood. "We are here to celebrate my return and the return of all those who fought against Itzvar."

Many men and women raised their cups of ale and quickly cheered.

"I want to introduce you to someone who helped me survive and escape Itzvar's grasp." Ragnar looked at Sophia and motioned her to stand. The young woman was hesitant but slowly stood from her seat. All eyes were on her. Many looked at her with curiosity, intrigue, or jealousy. "This is Sophia. She, too, was taken against her will by Itzvar. Sophia risked her life to help me survive and escape. Sophia has a gift of healing as she healed her friend at an inch of death."

Many mumbled to one another; Sophia blushed.

"She will be with Maja and be one of the healers of the village. Sophia has great knowledge that will help us succeed. You all will treat her with respect." Ragnar sat down, and Sophia did the same. The Viking motioned for people to continue with the festivities.

Sophia let out a quick sigh. "That was intense."

The children looked at her. "You helped Father survive?" asked Fridleif.

"Well, we both helped one another. Your father likes to exaggerate things over."

"Do you know how to fight?" asked the twins.

"N-No, but I would like to."

Fridleif lifted his chest a bit. "I can teach you! I am a great teacher!" he said proudly.

"You'll only bore her," said the twins.

Ragnar watched as Sophia was with his children. He noticed how his children bickered with one another, and he chuckled. Ragnar also noticed that a few people went to her. He knew that the people were asking her about their health concerns. Largetha also noticed but decided it was best not to speak or argue. Times that these made her forget her troubles. She chose to drink and chat with some of the shieldmaidens.

Ragnar watched as his wife went on her own. He noticed a couple of biking warriors lifting a cup of ale toward him, inviting him. He thought it was best to go and have fun. Ragnar believed it was best not to pay Sophia too much attention.

Sophia, however, was being asked many questions by some of the villagers. She was asked about particular pain in their bodies; women were asked about pregnancy and more. The young woman did her best to explain the possibilities but would have to examine them to be sure. She stood and excused herself to go outside and get fresh air. She was out of the building when the cool breeze hit her. Sophia decided to check on Estrid, but she noticed some movement from afar in the corner of her eye. She stilled and saw more signs; her eyes widened, and she returned to the meeting hall. 

"Ragnar!" However, it was too loud in the building, and she ran toward Ragnar, who was drinking and having a good time. "Ragnar, I saw something outside!"

Ragnar stopped laughing as he looked at Sophia.

"Please, I saw something outside!"

As he was about to ask Sophia what she saw, he noticed one of the guards falling to the ground; an arrow hit him. His eyes became wide. "There's an attack!"