Shieldmaiden

Ragnar's followers went on. Sophia and Estrid were quiet as they rode on. However, there were so many thoughts in Sophia's mind. How were she and Estrid going to live from now on? Was there a way where she would be able to return home? However, there was one thing for sure: she was away from Itzvar, which made her glad.

They all kept on riding for what seemed like forever. However, everyone noticed water and a couple of boats nearby. Ragnar made it first and got off the horse. Everyone followed suit, and they got off the horses. Sophia and Estrid kept their distance. One of the men went to Ragnar, and both men shook hands.

"Bless be Odin that you are freed, Lord Ragnar."

Ragnar did a slight nod. "Though I did not do it alone. I had help to plan my escape." He turned as he eyed Sophia and Estrid. All looked where Ragnar was looking. The two women flinched but did not move or say anything. Ragnar walked to them until he stood before Sophia. "I have her to thank since she took the risk to set me free."

There were whispers among the followers.

"It was nothing. It was not right what Itzvar was doing. I also have Estrid to thank; she helped me too."

Estrid blushed. "You did most of the work; I was just your side."

Sophia was about to speak when she noticed the shieldmaiden walking toward her. She stopped by Ragnar. "I still do not trust them. They could be loyal to that dog."

Ragnar rolled his eyes. "Sophia, Estrid, this is Lagertha, my wife. Lagertha, this is Sophia and Estrid. They are not spies. Sophia has repeatedly gone against him, and he almost forced himself upon her." He noticed Sophia flinch. "It would be dangerous if we left them; Itzvar would kill them if Itzvar found that they helped us. I am also in debt to Sophia. She also risked herself to help me survive."

Lagertha glared at Sophia but said nothing. On the other hand, Sophia couldn't believe she stood before the legendary couple. Sophia did hear stories of Lagertha, the Brave Shieldmaiden. The young woman imagined that Lagertha would be a beautiful warrior.

Now, seeing her in person, the legendary shieldmaiden was a strong warrior but wasn't as beautiful as the actress who played her. Lagertha had short, messy, curly blonde hair; her eyes were blue with a hint of iron and sternness. Her face was a bit broad, with light freckles on her cheeks. Sophia thought she looked almost manly by her face alone. Lagertha was also a bit chunky on her waist, and her body looked a little broader, making her look muscular beneath her clothing.

"Sophia and Estrid will come with us." He eyed Sophia. "The journey will be long and hard. There is always a chance that the waters might sweep one. Do you still wish to come with us?"

"Yes," Sophia nodded immediately. "Who can say 'no' to an adventure?"

Ragnar chuckled and motioned the two women to follow him. Sophia noticed a quick glare from Lagertha. A part of her wondered if what she did was the right choice. If she had stayed behind, she and Estrid would have suffered a fate worse than death. The road ahead would be hard and full of troubles, but Sophia was willing to risk it. However, her most considerable trouble would be Lagertha, for she did not honestly know her entirely.