Brynhild

Sophia and everyone else woke up as cold air blew by. The skies were cloudy and gray; Ragnar decided to continue their journey, which lasted another two hours. They could see something from afar as they rode on: a small village. They knew they were getting closer to their destination, and the village still looked intact, to their relief. 

Within the village, an adolescent male guard watched and noticed the group heading their way. He immediately got his horn and blew on it, making the villagers stop what they were doing; someone was coming. Many of the women and elderly were frightened as the Viking guards instructed them to stay in their homes to ensure that they weren't being invaded. The Vikings of the village walked out of the wooded gates with weapons in hand. They saw Ragnar and his group getting close but commanded their horses to stop. 

Ragnar looked at the guards but motioned out his right hand and slowly got off his horse. "Fear not, I am Ragnar Lothbrok; we come here with no ill will." The Vikings looked at one another and lowered their weapons; Ragnar and his people were allies and helped one another in their time of need. However, caution was still evident. "We wish to speak with Lord Haggardson."

"My husband is dead, Lord Ragnar," said a feminine voice. The Vikings cleared a path to a middle-aged woman who wore men's clothing. The woman had a bulky appearance with a slightly masculine face; her light brown eyes and plump pink lips held up some of her femininity. Her hair had some dark brown strands but was dyed blonde and was put in a long ponytail above her waist. Her skin was slightly pale, with many freckles on her face. In Sophia's view, the woman was almost as tall as Ragnar. "I am the leader of the village, Lord Ragnar." Her voice had a slightly rough sound.

"Ah, Lady Brynhild, it has been such a long time. I did not know that Lord Haggardson passed away."

Brynhild motioned the guards to lower their weapons as she slowly walked toward him. "He died not too long ago. I wanted to send you and our other allies a message, but word spread that Itzvar and Frode are working together and have been on the attack." She noticed the rest of the group and motioned them to enter the village. Everyone in the group got off their horses; some men got the reigns and helped them with their horses. "You all seem tired from your journey; if you all are here, then there is something you wish to speak about. Follow me."

The group followed Brynhild; the women, children, and elderly slowly walked out of their homes, relieved they weren't enemies. For Sophia, the village was smaller than Ragnar's village; it was also close to a forest where resources were always available. She knew what would happen to it but didn't know when the attack would occur. The group was led to what looked like a meeting hall. Some of Brynhild's guards also entered to ensure their leader's safety. There were long rectangular tables and benches; Brynhild ordered the maids to cook food for their guests. Ragnar, Sophia, and the rest took their seats; Brynhild got a wooden chair and sat before them.

"It is too soon to ask why you arrived in this village, but it cannot be good news if the great Ragnar Lothbrok is here."

Ragnar sighed. "You are right, Lady Brynhild. We have come here with great urgency. I know this will be hard to believe, but an attack will soon happen here."

Brynhild and her guards were stunned. The plates of food and drinks arrived and were given to the guests. Everyone except Ragnar and Sophia ate. "An attack? How do you know this? I have my men search everywhere, and there are no indications that spies have been lurking about."

"The land you live in is vast, Lady Brynhild. Spies can always lurk, and I need to be frank; you don't have enough men to fight off an attack," said Ragnar as he ate a piece of meat. He didn't want to offend her; he knew that Brynhild was responsible for caring for her people as her husband did. Since Brynhild was a woman, other Vikings would take her seriously and wouldn't hesitate to take everything she held dear. However, Ragnar always had her in high regard and respect; she was a skillful shieldmaiden who once fought alongside Lagertha. 

Sophia noticed that Brynhild crossed her arms, her eyes never leaving Ragnar. She didn't want Ragnar to take all the blame. "L-Lady Brynhild, if I may?"

"Who are you?"

"I-I'm Sophia. Please don't get angry with Ragnar; sometimes, he can be blunt. However, he never meant to say this out of disrespect. It's just that we don't want you and your people to get hurt or killed. The thing is, I had a dream about an attack happening here."

Everyone looked at her; Brynhild's gaze fell upon her. "A dream? So you all came to speak of a dream that might never happen."

"She is a seer, Lady Brynhild. What she has are more like visions, many of which have come true. Sophia has predicted many attacks against us, which helped us prepare. We wouldn't be alive without her visions." Ragnar then drank the whole cup of ale. "She even predicted the death of my son, Fridleif."

Brynhild's eyes widened. "Your son is dead?"

"On the last attack, Itzvar killed my son. Sophia knew that a tragedy would happen through her visions, but it seemed the gods like playing their jokes and didn't show her who was going to die."

"What of Lagertha?"

"She is alive, but our spirits are torn with our loss; Lagertha divorced me."

Some of Ragnar's men almost choked on either their drinks or food. Brynhild's guards murmured to one another. The shieldmaiden was stunned since she and Lagertha had a good friendship. She was there by her friend's side when Fridleif was born; their loss saddened her. "I-I'm so sorry. I cannot imagine the pain you both felt for losing your son." She then looked at Sophia, whose looks never dissipated. 

"That is why we have come to you, my Lady. We don't want another tragedy to happen. In my...vision, I saw this village in a blaze; men and the elderly were being killed. Children were taken away to be slaves as many of the women, many of who were..." Sophia closed her eyes and bit her lower lip as the memory of her vision came to her. "The screams were so horrendous that I tried to shield myself from them; it was useless." She opened her eyes as she stood by the shieldmaiden from her seat but kept a distance. "I can't imagine the responsibility you have. You have to keep the well-being of your people as your main priority. Also, some view us women as weak. In my eyes, I see that you have fought in many battles, but this one will be the biggest yet. Please believe us so you or anyone have to suffer a tragedy."

The meeting hall was silent; the crackles of fire were the only things heard. Brynhild noticed that Sophia never wavered; she was telling the truth. The older woman stood from her seat. "What is it that we must do?"

Sophia and everyone else sighed in relief. Ragnar looked at Sophia and spoke with Brynhild; she had a way with words. He felt his heart flutter, something he hadn't had for a long time.