Home

The next day, Ragnar and everyone went on with their journey. To their luck, the waters were calm. Sophia sat with Estrid, hugging her, trying to keep her warm. The night before, Sophia noticed that Estrid was shivering and still looked out of shape. Sophia believed that Estrid had hypothermia; she felt helpless and couldn't help her friend. The young woman prayed that they would make it to Ragnar's home so she could help her friend.

Ragnar helped his men with the boat; he glanced at Sophia, who held onto her friend. He knew that Estrid didn't look well. The Viking went to them both. "Your friend is not getting well."

Sophia looked up. "Yes, I think she has hypothermia; she's getting a fever too."

Ragnar lifted an eyebrow. "What is this hypothermia?"

"It's when someone gets exposed to the cold. When someone has hypothermia, their body can't produce heat quickly enough. It can be serious."

"Are you a healer?"

"Yes, you can say that. I was taught some things about how to deal with illnesses."

Ragnar let out a smile. "You can be very helpful to my people. We will be arriving soon. You and your friend will be staying with the village's medicine woman. You both can teach one another a thing or two."

"Thank you, Ragnar; we are forever grateful."

Ragnar went on to help with the boat. Deep down, he was surprised that Sophia was knowledgeable about medicine. He truly believed that she would be greatly needed for the well-being of his people. He believed there was more to Sophia than she admitted. It also showed him that Sophia didn't enjoy much attention for recognition. The Viking looked forward to the times ahead.

Suddenly, Ragnar and his men saw land ahead; Sophia saw land. She felt relief. From afar, she saw many green hills and mountains. It looked as if the mountains were shaped to hide something. They all sailed toward the land, and the closer they got, the more people left their homes to greet them.

The boat finally hit land. 

Two Vikings threw ropes toward some of the men on land to keep the boat still. One by one, men and women got off the boat and greeted their loved ones. Lagertha got off, awaiting Ragnar. She saw how he helped Sophia get Estrid off the boat. Ragnar carried Estrid and took her toward the village; Sophia followed behind him. The shieldmaiden bit her lower lip but returned home to greet her children.

Sophia walked behind Ragnar; she couldn't help but notice Ragnar's village. The houses were made out of wood, stone, and other materials. She thought Ragnar's former village looked more lively than this one. Even the people looked a little sickly.

All three entered a decent-sized house where rune writings were carved on the door's entry and carvings of figures on the house's wooden walls. They all entered. Inside, there was a handmade circular fireplace where a fire was burning. Small tables and wooden cabinets held cups and bottles of herbs, stones, rocks, and other liquids. Animal skins, as well as different plants, were hanging on the ceilings. A small bed made of grass and straw was on the left corner of the house, where an older woman sat. 

The woman had slight wrinkles on her face but still held a bit of youth; her lips were very thin, making it look like they were losing color. Her straight, long blonde hair had some white hair touching her waist. She wore a plain dark green dress that made her pale skin glow within the dimly lit house. Her eyes were dark brown with small dark bags, making her look as if she was sleep-deprived. The woman stood and went to the group.

"Maja, this is Sophia and her friend, Estrid. Estrid here is not well and needs your assistance. Also, I decided these two will stay with you until something is decided." 

Maja merely nodded as she motioned Ragnar to put Estrid on the cot, which he did. "You and your friend will be in good hands. I must leave now, but I will visit you to see how your friend is doing." Ragnar walked out of the house, leaving all three women alone.

Sophia noticed how Maja looked at her; the woman did not blink once. Maja slowly walked to her until she stood in front of Sophia. It made Sophia uncomfortable, but Maja gently touched the right side of her face. "The gods have chosen you to be here; you're purpose will be known throughout history."

Sophia stilled as Maja looked at her. "Uh, excuse me?"

Maja kept looking at the woman but eventually went to get the ingredients and what looked like charms. Sophia remembered some of her teachings about certain medicines. Charms and prayers were also used to try to cure the sick. Sophia wanted to stop her from using charms, knowing it wouldn't work. However, the two women barely met, and she didn't want to sound rude. She also noticed Maja's herbs; those certain herbs wouldn't work against the fever.

The young woman watched Maja put stones on Estrid's head and wet some herbs on Estrid's forehead. Maja was in a trance-like state, saying prayers for Estrid's recovery. Sophia waited until the prayer was done. "E-Excuse me. What kind of medicine will you give her?"

The older woman didn't answer immediately. "Only the gods can help her. I prayed to the gods to help this woman fight the sickness."

Sophia bit her lower lip. "I-I'm sorry, but Estrid will need more than prayer." Maja stilled, slowly looking at the young woman, but said nothing. "I-I apologize if I offend you. However, I want my friend to live. I know that the...gods have given us so much to help their creation. Don't you have any herbs to help?"

"We don't have much. This land is barren. We have to make due on what this part of the land gives us,"

"If it's alright with you, may I look at what herbs you have to see if they can help Estrid?" Maja said nothing, but Sophia had enough of the woman's silence and looked at bags and containers throughout the tiny home. There weren't many herbs, and it made Sophia nervous. However, she remembered something while entering the village. "I'll be right back." The young woman walked out of the house and went to the village.

Many people were walking or doing some form of chores. However, Sophia left the village until she found what she sought. In the almost dead-looking grass were many yarrow flowers. She let out a sigh of relief and got a handful of them. "This will help!"

Sophia ran back to Maja's home; inside, Maja sat beside Estrid. "I came back, and I have what I need. Is there a way I can boil water?"

Maja was silent for a bit. "There is a lake nearby. Get water, and you may boil it as you please."

The young woman put the flowers on the table, got the wooden bucket, and left the village again. Sophia asked a village woman where the lake was located. She found the lake, taking the water-filled bucket back to the house. Sophia saw Maja getting a hold of the flowers. However, she went to pour the bucket of water into a pot and then put it close to the fire. She waited for it to start boiling.

"What makes you think this flower will help."

"I just know." Sophia got a hold of the flowers and put them in the water, which began to boil slowly.

"You are different from the rest of us. There's something you are keeping hidden."

Sophia didn't say much or know what to think or say. She was confused about how she ended up in the Viking era. The young woman thought it was best not to say much.

"You don't believe in the gods."

"I don't know what to believe. All I can do is live and help others the best I can. The tea is done." Sophia got a small bowl and a wooden spoon, pouring spoonfuls of the tea. She went to Estrid. "Hey, Estrid, wake up. Drink this; it will help you out." Sophia gently shook Estrid, waking the sickly young woman. Estrid's eyes were half opened; she was burning and weak. Sophia assisted her in sitting up. "The tea is hot, so try to blow on it and take small sips; there's no hurry."

Estrid slowly blew on the tea; with Sophia's assistance, she took small sips. Estrid could taste a bit of a bitter flavor. However, she kept on slowly drinking the tea. Once Estrid finished, she slowly laid back down and slept.

Sophia got a wet cloth, put it over Estrid's forehead, and sat beside her friend. Maja stood there and watched what had occurred. "I shall make food." Maja began to get some ingredients to cook but couldn't deny that she was intrigued by Sophia's knowledge. The older woman knew that Sophia knew more than she would admit. "Yes, she will have a purpose to fulfill; the gods have deemed it."