| sixteen

"is it bad that I want to ditch the game and be inside you instead right now?"

those words play over and over again in my head. the sexy tone in his voice, his warm breath against my ear. it's all very wonderful and alluring. more than anything do I want to take him up on his offer. who wouldn't?

but I know that's just my hormones thinking for me. it isn't in my character to sleep with someone I barely even know without being drunk or not in a right state of mind. this is how he gets every girl in the palm of his hands. by using his sex appeal to his advantage, of course.

and plus, just giving him what he wants isn't any fun and won't get ethan jealous. I have to tease him, draw this out. but that's a very risky game to play since grayson doesn't seem like the type that enjoys getting teased.

"it'd be rude to leave so soon, grayson," I tell him, keeping an unfazed voice. "we just got here." his hand on my shoulder plays with a strand of my hair that fell loose from the braid, which tickles my neck and makes me feel tingly.

he moves away from me a little and sighs, bringing his beer bottle up to his lips to take a sip. I watch as he tilts his chin upward while doing so. once he swallows, he looks at me again with those familiar hazel eyes.

"you're asking a lot of me," he says honestly. "I don't really think I can have you pressed against me for the whole game and be able to hold myself back." I notice his eyes roaming as he says this.

I decide to respond more playfully. "is me being this close a problem?" I ask and start pulling myself away from him, but he immediately pulls me back by bringing his arm around my neck closer.

"no no no, don't do that," he says. "that isn't what I meant and you know it, wilson."

I settle myself against his side, smiling. "I know what you meant, and you'd better find a way to handle yourself because it's going to take a lot more for you to get your way with me."

"I know," he responds with no hesitation and a little grin playing on his lips. "I'm not worried about it."

"oh, you're not, are you?" I eye him dubiously.

"nope." he shakes his head, so sure of himself. "I know what you're trying to do. guaranteed, you're going to crack before I do."

what is he trying to say? "is that a challenge, grayson?"

"do you want it to be, evie?" he finally meets my glare. that stupid smirk on his face tells everything. he's trying to get me heated.

"what if I said I don't want to sleep with you?" I counter him, trying to get back some power. he's so smug in thinking I'm the one dying for this to happen. for all he knows, I just wanted to hang out with him to get to know him. not fuck him.

but again, his confidence isn't shaken. he doesn't believe what I'm proposing. "why else would you have asked only me here tonight?"

well, to get your brother jealous, I want to say just to spite him and because it's the truth. but I can't do that. it'll get him on my bad side and I don't want to see what happens then.

when I don't answer for a moment, he takes it as me surrendering. he leans down to put the beer bottle on the ground by his feet, then gently grabs my chin between his index finger and thumb to make me look at him. my breath catches in my throat when I notice his face coming closer.

his eyes are trained on my lips, and for a moment I really believe he's going to kiss me. I think I even start unconsciously moving closer. but of course he wouldn't make it that easy, either.

he stops when we're only centimeters apart, looking very pleased with himself. "see how you leaned in just now?"

I narrow my eyes at him in frustration, but he simply lets go of me and turns back to watch the game, having made his point. we sit back to normal, keeping our hands to ourself.