| fifteen

EVIE'S POV

the three of us walk into my house, taking off our shoes at the entrance. no one is home, of course, except harley. 

"okay, so the game doesn't start until seven. what do you guys want to do until then?" reese asks us while kneeling down to pet harley. 

julian runs a hand through his curly hair and lets out a long sigh. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm taking a nap. wake me up five minutes before we leave." he says this while blatantly avoiding my eye contact, as if I'm not even here. reese nods while he starts walking to the living room to lay on the couch.

I scoff. "he's so annoying. why the hell is he mad at me? shouldn't he be apologizing to me already for basically calling me a slut?" I speak in a low voice so only reese hears me. she stops petting harley and stands now, shrugging her shoulders.

"give him a break, evie. he thinks he was just trying to protect you." it sounds like reese is siding with julian, like always. even when he's clearly in the wrong she finds any reason to make him right.

"he always thinks he's protecting me. he can't use that to justify every crap decision he makes." at some point, he needs to realize I'm not five years old and it isn't his job to baby me. "let's just drop it. I have other things to worry about."

"yes, you do," reese smiles mischievously now. "we need to focus on tonight. come on, let's go to your room and figure out what you're wearing." she takes my hand and pulls me in the direction of the stairs.

once we're inside my bedroom, I close the door so as to not wake julian while we talk. reese immediately struts to my dresser and starts opening the drawers, and I lay down on my bed in the meantime. there's no use in me helping to pick an outfit since my taste is not what we're going for tonight.

"nothing trashy," I inform reese, knowing she's going to go overboard with trying to make me look desirable. she waves her hand at me as if to say don't worry

as I wait, my mind starts to worry excessively. I realize that I'll be spending the night trying to seduce grayson motherfucking dolan. and if it works, I'll probably be having sex with him. it'll of course mean nothing and not be that big a deal, but he has so much experience. while part of me is fretting over that, the rest of me is...

excited?

"try this on." reese tosses some clothes on top of me and startles me from my thoughts. I swallow and sit up, inspecting the outfit she's picked. but I can tell she isn't even pleased with it. "don't look at me like that," she tells me. "your wardrobe is more modest than mary poppin's." 

"it isn't modest," I protest. "it's comfortable and better than half the shit these girls wear at school everyday. stop ragging on my clothes." I pick up what she picked out and start changing into it. it's a pair of tight jean shorts and a sheer tank top that I will most definitely not be wearing.

it's already the end of september. it'll be too cold to wear a tank top. plus, there is no way a school event is going to allow me to show off my bra to everyone since this is so sheer.

I go back to my drawers and instead grab an oversized dark grey sweatshirt instead. but reese disapproves. 

"that's not sexy." she purses her lips and shakes her head. 

"oh well." I go back in front of my mirror and inspect. it's a cute outfit, and it doesn't even matter that much anyway. grayson really only cares about what's under the shirt.

for the next hour, reese sits on my bed with me on the floor while she braids my hair into two dutch braids. but because I'm so impatient, halfway through I fall forward on the ground to lie down and she let go of one of the braids and had to start it over. after her shouting a bunch of profanities at me to let off steam from me making her mess up, we eventually finish with my hair.