| seven

"actually, you're the only one I've ever called that."

I swallow the air in my throat, definitely not expecting him to have said that. even if he is just saying it, which he certainly is lying, he sure has a way with words. and for the slightest beat of a second, I felt my heart leap in my chest.

but I don't let myself fall for it.

"you're so full of shit," I laugh under my breath to come across more lighthearted. I have to look down from his eyes because I can't make eye contact with him when he's being all fake sincere.

ethan cocks his head to the side, looking almost confused at my response. "why? I was being truthful."

I shrug, looking back up to his eyes now. "it's just kind of hard to believe considering your favorite hobby." it's no secret how many girls he gets with on a regular basis. he must really think I'm stupid if he wants me to believe he's never called any of them pet names like princess.

he takes a step away from me, and just looks at me for a moment. it feels like time is passing impossibly slow and I hate the rush of nerves I feel prickling me all over from the weight of his eyes on me.

I start to worry that maybe he's losing interest. I want to play hard to get but not to the point that he doesn't want to waste his time on me anymore.

"you know what I don't get?" he finally asks me, eyeing me down with genuine curiosity. I raise my eyebrows to encourage him to go on. "how you seem to have this whole mapped out idea about who I am. do you just believe anything you hear?"

"don't act like it's not true." I cross my arms and watch as he scoffs. "and it's not just what I hear. I know how these things go."

fuckboys are very predictable.

a smooth smirk forms on his lips, almost like he's just come to this grand realization. like he's figured something out. "oh, I get it." he chuckles to himself. "you've been hurt, haven't you?"

"huh?" I question. he isn't wrong, but what did I say that made him assume that right away?

"you've got major trust issues," he clarifies. his observation brings a turmoil of insecurities and negativity into my mind, feeling almost scared that he can read me so easily. despite all the noise in the room from the talking and music, it's like we're the only two here. tunnel vision.

so subtly, he leans a little closer to me, and his deep, gritty voice fills my ears. "gilinsky really left you that fucked up, huh?"

my body stills.

his hooded eyes watch me, and I feel shock, anger, and embarrassment rush through me all at once. I need to internally tell myself to keep my cool and ignore the urge to slap that sly smirk off his face. I feel so embarrassed ethan knows anything about that. and angry that jack can't keep his mouth shut. it's nobody's business.

my face feels hot. all of these emotions, both good and bad, that he's making me feel just from his words is making me realize just how he gets girls under his control.

he's trying to make me vulnerable and it's working.

my eyes wander past ethan, to where jack is sitting on a couch watching the game of beer pong going on. so smug and sure of himself, not a care in the world. and I can't help but wonder who else he's been telling. probably twisting the story for his own convenience. 

I finally bring myself to lift my head and narrow my eyes at ethan, annoyed that he thinks it's okay to say something like that. "you're suck a dick, you know that?" I shoot back at him, hostility inevitably laced into my words.