| eight

the cup in hand, I make my way through the living room, making sure not to bump into anyone on my walk there.

I start thinking of a game plan for how this is going to go down. will I bump into him and then spill it? or pretend to trip? whatever I decide it can't be blatantly obvious. I need to remember that ethan knows how to play this game better than I do; he's the master.

he'll catch on to me trying to turn the tables on him if I'm not careful.

once I reach the table in the back where they're playing beer pong, I see jack on one end and then ethan on the other, with ethan currently aiming a ping pong ball in the air to make his shot. he's focused, his tongue sticking out just a little while he takes a moment to analyze which cup he's aiming for and then adjusts his arm accordingly before throwing the ball. he makes it in, and everyone who's watching cheers. well, except jack.

a bunch of girls are practically squealing for him, only feeding his confidence. ethan claps his hands together, licking the inside of his cheek while he gives jack a cocky grin. the stares between them are intense, the competition seemingly hefty.

I take a step closer. "ethan," I call out, distracting him from the game. his eyes wander over to me, surprised to see me standing there.

jack is getting ready to make his shot, but ethan holds up his index finger to him. "give me a sec," he calls out, and jack drops his arm and stands straight looking annoyed. people boo that he's pausing the game but ethan isn't phased nor does he give a shit.

everyone still adores him no matter what he may do. he knows that.

he looks back at me, walking closer until he's right in front of me. he's carrying himself more confidently after his performance just now, as if his ego wasn't already big enough.

"miss me already?" he asks in his arrogant way while raising an eyebrow at me, and I shake my head as if to humor him.

I'm still wondering how to make this whole spill situation look believable. and the more time passes the more I realize I may have missed my chance and spilling the drink now is going to look plain stupid.

before either of us can say anything more, someone comes running out of nowhere behind ethan and accidentally shoves him before running off and shoving more people in his path. everything happens very quickly, and next thing I know ethan's pressed up against me and a very cold liquid is pouring down the front of my shirt.

that worked out awfully well.

"what the fuck?" ethan shouts, his eyes darting behind him to see who just pushed him into me. the guy that did it is nowhere to be seen, having run off somewhere else in a rush by now. I notice jack smirking to himself in the back, enjoying that ethan just got shoved.

my entire upper body is freezing from the cold drink having spilled on me, and ethan doesn't notice until he turns to face me again and I'm practically shivering.

"oh shit, did I do that?" he asks, looking at my soaked shirt. "I'm sorry." he takes the cup from my hand, setting it down on a table nearby.

I wipe my arms, shaking my head at him. "don't worry about it, it was my fault." I give him a small smile in order to try and reassure him. but ethan seems to look upset about the whole thing.

"no, it was that fucking moron who wasn't watching where he was going." he finally takes a deep breath and looks at me, and I feel happy he seems to care so much. reese would be so proud at how well this is all going.

suddenly someone starts whistling, and I look up to see levi there eyeing me up and down. I'm confused for a moment until I realize you can practically see my nipples now through my thin and wet shirt.