Chapter 13

Clouds pass by your window as you stare out at the vast ocean beneath you. Wingulls glide through the air, soaking in the warm sun above. The sunlight reflects off the ocean waves, creating a beautiful crystalline shine. 

You turn away from your small window and lean back in your seat.

Earlier in Aether Paradise, you told Ash and the Professors that you remember your home in the Kalos region and that Professor Sycamore is your father. You were expecting them to be thrilled, but instead they were all... confused?

"I wasn't aware that Professor Sycamore had any kids," Kukui had said as he glanced over at his wife, "We're not really close friends, but we professors stay in touch to compare research."

"Yeah, I met Professor Sycamore when I travelled around Kalos," Ash piped up, "I never saw you at his lab, and he never said anything about you either."

You had hesitated, not really knowing what to think, but you had asked Ash how long ago his adventures in Kalos were, and when he told you they were fairly recent, you figured your dad just didn't want to talk about his missing daughter.

Everyone seemed to go with that, but you could still tell Professor Kukui and Burnet were hesitant.

So now here you are, sitting next to Ash and Kukui on Skarmory Airlines flight #131 headed for Lumiose City in the Kalos region.

You're sitting by the window, with Ash to your left in between you and Professor Kukui.

Professor Burnet wanted to come more than anything, but she had work obligations that held her back. You two shared your goodbyes before you boarded the plane, promising to keep in touch.

A voice over the intercom system suddenly disrupts your thoughts.

"Good afternoon everyone, this is your Captain speaking. We will be approaching the Lumiose City Airport in about 30 minutes."

In that moment, your stomach drops when you realize what's about to happen. 

You're going home.

Taking a deep breath, you look down at Cato and Pikachu playing with each other at your feet. Watching Cato, your mind wanders to what it's going to be like to be home again.

'Will it be weird?'

'Will any of the lab Pokemon remember me?'

...

'Will anything ever be the same?'

These thoughts filtered through your mind, causing knots to form in your stomach. Ash must've noticed, because he tried to make you feel better.

"It's going to be so great to get you back home, (Y/N)," he says, smiling. "You don't have anything to worry about! Right, Professor?"

You both look over at Professor Kukui for reassurance, but he's out cold, snoring the ride away.

You give Ash a weak smile, trying your best to calm your nerves. You reach down and grab your backpack from underneath the seat, trying to find something to distract yourself with for the remainder of the flight.

~~~~~

Stepping out of the airplane, you take in your surroundings. You see the huge skyline of Lumiose City, people rushing around trying to get where they need to go, and Pokemon wandering everywhere.

"Huh.." you mutter to yourself, a little concerned. 

"What is it?" Ash questions you, apparently noticing your confusion.