Chapter 4

Over in the Kalos region, in Lumiose City, Pokemon Professor Augustine Sycamore has buried himself in his work ever since he lost the one thing that mattered most in his life: his daughter. 

At first, he basically abandoned his research and focused all of his attention on finding you. But when the case went cold, and he couldn't really do anything else, he let his work consume him. It's a good distraction.

He sits at his desk in the late hours of the night, papers and books strewn across the wooden surface. Sycamore tries to focus, but when this time of year rolls around, that's the last thing he can actually do.

It's been almost two years since you disappeared from his life. When it gets close to the anniversary, Sycamore can't focus on anything except you. He tries to distract himself like he does the rest of the year with his work, but his mind won't let him. His mind forces him to suffer.

Augustine stares down at the pages in the book, but his mind keeps going back to the same place. He frustratingly swings his arm across the desk, knocking all the contents onto the floor. 

He sits back in his chair, rubbing his hands over his eyes. His arms slump against the chair and he looks at everything he just knocked off. He sees a picture frame laying face-down on the ground.

He sighs as he leans over to pick it up. Grasping the edges, he pauses before he flips it over. He knows what this picture is, and he's not sure if he can look at it. He hesitantly turns it around. 

He's met with a photo of you and him on your 12th birthday. You both look so happy. The picture makes him smile, but it also tugs at his heart. He sets it back down on the desk, a lump forming in his throat. 

He stands up and clears his throat, turning off the lamp that's sitting on his desk. Walking out of his office, Sycamore hopes he can get some sleep tonight, but he knows deep down that his mind won't allow that.

~~~~~

Back in Alola, Professor Burnet explained to you that she believes you were in some sort of cryogenic sleep in Ultra Space for quite some time, which is why it's difficult for you to speak normally or walk very much. You went a while without speaking or using your muscles, so they're very weak and have to be strengthened.

For the past couple of days, you've practicing speaking, but it hasn't improved much. It's like listening to a Dewgong cry. 

As for walking, you are currently trying to make your way over to the bathroom. Ash and Professor Kukui are currently away at Pokemon School, and Professor Burnet is off somewhere, doing research most likely.

Normally someone would be here to help you walk to the bathroom, but nope, not today. 

'I can do this, it's just walking. I'm not a one year old,' you think to yourself. You've managed to make it halfway across the room, thanks to the crutches they left behind for you. Granted, you really aren't ready to use them yet because your arms aren't very strong, so you can barely keep yourself up.

Luckily, Cato is right next to you, although displeased with your stubbornness and refusal to wait for someone to get home. 

You focus on taking one step at a time, moving your crutches forward and your legs slowly following.

Miraculously, you make it to the bathroom. You balance carefully as you turn the knob and push the door open. You hobble in and take care of business. Looking in the mirror, you take in your appearance. 

Your (h/c) hair is messy and uncombed, you have bags under your eyes, and your skin looks like it hasn't seen sunlight in ages. You had traded your old, ripped clothes for a t-shirt and shorts that Burnet brought you. You stand awkwardly in a hunch, trying to keep your balance.

In other words, you're a mess.

You make your way out of the bathroom and carefully close the door. Cato is waiting where you left him, ready to help escort you back to the bed. You sigh as you start to trudge back. 

However, your muscles must have decided that enough was enough, and your legs gave out from under you. You would've gone face-first into the floor, but Cato used his body as a pillow to cushion your fall. 

You prop yourself up on your elbows and give Cato a shy smile as a thank you. He merely gives you a look that reeks of 'I told you so' and you give a breathy laugh. 

Suddenly, you hear a door open in the house followed by Ash's loud voice. They must be getting back from Pokemon School. You realize how pitiful you must look right now.

You think for a second that maybe you can make it back to the bed before they come in your room, but seeing the distance you would have to wobble immediately ends that plan. You hear their footsteps heading towards you and you prepare for the inevitable embarrassment.

The door opens as Ash comes barreling in, nearly tripping over you. Before he actually falls on you, he hops over your body and regains his balance on the other side of you. He turns around looks at you, confused. 

A moment later, Professor Kukui stops mid-way through the door and looks down at you and Cato with the same confused look. You give a small, sheepish smile, your face turning a little red. 

"What's... going on?" Kukui asks. Forgetting that you still can't really talk, you go to explain, but a hoarse noise is all that comes out. After clearing your throat, you just point to the bathroom.

"Oh, right," Kukui says, understanding what you were trying to say. "Well, let's get you up." 

Ash and Kukui both help you stand and make your way back over to the bed. You lay back against the headboard as Cato jumps up on the bed and lays at the edge.

"(Y/N), it's good that you're trying to get up and around, but doing it by yourself can be dangerous. Try and wait for us next time, please?" Kukui says gently. You look down, playing with the hem of the covers as you nod your head.

Satisfied, Kukui turns around and heads for the door. "I'm going to get dinner started. Ash, I could use your help," he says.

"Oh, sweet! I'm starving!" Ash says as he bolts after the professor. "Oh, (Y/N)," Ash says as he whips around right before passing through the doorframe, "I know you'll get it down soon. You'll be walking again in no time! You just gotta be careful."

He gives you a big smile and runs back out, chasing after the professor. You sit there for a moment, before a small smile finds its way onto your face.