Chapter 10

You're running. Running through a forest.

Running from what?

Legs are burning. Adrenaline is coursing through your veins.

You can hear something behind you.

Have to get away.

Your foot snags on a tree root, and you fall to the ground. You try to yank it free, but the roots are wrapping around your ankle. You look behind you, trying to see what you're running from.

You hear your name. You whip your head around, looking for the source. You hear it again, and again, and again, from all angles. It's a voice you recognize, but can't put a face to.

"(Y/N)," you hear more clearly than the rest. You look in front of you and see a tall figure. You can't make out any defining features, just the basics.

Dark, curly hair.

Lab coat.

You try and look at his face, but you can't make it out, almost as if his face isn't even there. You turn and look at the tree roots curling up your legs, pulling you away from this man.

"(Y/N), do you remember?" the man says. Your heart rate quickens as he says this. Remember?

You look at him again, straining to see anything that could tell you who he is. As you stare at his nondescript figure, you feel tingling in the back of your mind. A sharp pain stabs your skull, making you yelp and clutch your head.

The roots squeeze harder around your lower body as you rack your brain, trying to identify this man in front of you. With another sharp stab in your head, vague memories start returning to you.

An injured Shinx.

A big city.

A twelfth birthday.

You stare up at the man, mouth agape. Tears start to form in your eyes as it dawns on you.

"D-dad?" you whisper to the man. A kind smile makes its way onto his face, and he reaches his hand out to you. You desperately try to grab it, but he's just out of reach.

"Dad!" you scream, as the tree roots curl up and around your torso, pulling you away from your father. You continue calling out for him as the roots morph into cable-like limbs. You look back in horror as the tree converts into Xurkitree.

Its arms wrap around your body, engulfing you completely. You look back at your Dad, who is still waiting for you to take his hand. You beg for him to help you, but he doesn't move.

You scream and struggle against your captor, trying to break free, but it's too strong. You can feel darkness prickling the back of your mind.

Tears are flowing freely down your face as you look to your Dad's featureless figure one last time. You scream out to him right before you slip away, your mind being consumed in a thick darkness.

~~~~~

You sit upright, panting heavily. You bring your hand up to your forehead and push your (h/c) hair out of your face, holding it in a balled fist on top of your head. Your cheeks are wet from your tears.