Chapter 5

It's been about two weeks since you woke up in the Professor's home. You've worked hard at strengthening your muscles, and you can sometimes walk without your crutches. You've even practiced speaking so much that you can talk once again.

Granted, it makes your throat sore and your voice sounds terrible, but it's a start.

You stir when sunlight hits your eyelids, and you stretch your arms out in front of you. Opening your eyes slowly, you sit up and see Cato lying at the end of the bed, watching you. You scratch behind his ears and he gives a happy growl in response. 

You lean over and grab your crutches, swinging your legs over the side of the bed. Standing up carefully, you put your weight on the crutches and make your way over to the bathroom to change. 

When you exit the bathroom, Cato is waiting expectantly for you at the door. You roll your eyes and carefully open the door. Cato runs out to the kitchen, tired of waiting for his breakfast.

You follow behind him, albeit at a much slower pace, but you make your way over and sit down at the table next to Ash.

"Good morning, (Y/N)!" Ash says between mouthfuls of food.

"G'morning, Ash," you reply with a smile. Kukui brings over some breakfast for you and sits down at the other side of the table with his own. You give a quick 'thank you' and start to eat.

You notice Professor Burnet isn't here; she must have left early.

"Your voice is sounding stronger, (Y/N)," the Professor says to you. You look over at him and smile.

"Yeah, it's starting to hurt less too," you say, cheerfully.

"So, I was thinking," Ash says suddenly, "the others really want to meet you, (Y/N). You've been here for a while and they still haven't gotten to see you." 

Your heart suddenly starts racing. Ash has brought this up before but you shut it down real quick. You don't remember much about yourself, but you do know that you're not a fan of meeting new people. 

Or social situations in general, really.

Kukui pipes up, "That's true, they have been asking about you quite a bit," he says, looking at you.

"I, uh, I don't- um, I think-" you stutter, nervously, looking everywhere except at them. 

Ash sighs. "It's okay, you don't have to," he says supportively, yet you can still hear his disappointment.

"I don't know, (Y/N), I think it would be good for you to get out and meet some new people. You haven't talked to anyone except Burnet, Ash, and I since you got here," Kukui states.

You quickly shake your head, looking down.

"Okay, okay, we'll talk about this another time," Kukui sighs. "Ash, we have to get going or we'll be late," he says, changing the subject.

Ash scarfs down the rest of his food and jumps up, grabbing his backpack as Pikachu climbs up on his shoulder.

"See ya later, (Y/N)!" Ash says as he runs out the door, Kukui close behind.

"Be careful, we'll be back later," Kukui says with a smile as he closes door behind him. You get up slowly and head to the bathroom to brush your teeth, Cato following closely behind you.

~~~~~

The last few hours have consisted of you aimlessly wandering around the house, talking to yourself and the Pokemon.

Sometimes during the days when you get bored, you go back to the backpack you apparently had when they found you. You wear your blue knitted beanie a lot in hopes that it will help you remember something. No luck yet, though. 

You also sometimes have the urge to draw in that notebook of yours, but you're afraid that if you write in it now it could hurt the memory you have buried somewhere in your mind.

You also have that book. The book on Mega Evolution.

You thought that maybe it meant something, maybe it was a clue, but Professor Burnet explained to you that ever since Mega Evolution was discovered, people from all over the world were interested in it, so the book couldn't really help them.

You make your way back to your room, pulling your backpack onto the bed and sitting down. You reach in and pull the book out. Every time you read this book, you feel something, though you don't know what.

You stare at the cover. It's littered with different colors, and at the center is the large Mega Evolution symbol. Flipping through the pages, you skim over the text, but what you're really interested in are the notes in the margins.

You can tell it's your handwriting, but it feels strange to look at. You try and focus on that feeling, closing your eyes and concentrating. Trying to remember something.

Anything.

You open your eyes and shove the book in your backpack, angrily.

"I need some air," you say to yourself. You sling the backpack over your shoulders and grab your crutches, standing up. Cato follows behind you, curious. You haven't gone outside much since you woke up, but you needed a change in scenery.

Halfway to the door, you pause, looking down at your crutches. You feel an overwhelming sense of anger. You shift your weight and grab one, and then the other, and you throw them to the side.

You've walked without them before, and you'll do it again. You straighten up and make your way to the front door, taking small steps. Cato lets out a small warning growl, trying to stop you, but it's no use. You look back your Luxray. 

"I've walked without them before, Cato. See? I'll be fine," you say as you take more steps.

You reach for the doorknob and hesitate, suddenly feeling uneasy about this. You shake your head and shove the door open, stepping out into the warm afternoon sun, Cato following close behind.