Chapter 12

The hallways feel endless. 

You pass door after door, your heart racing. Your lungs start burning; you won't be able to run for much longer.

Your head pounds with every step, and you can feel tears brimming in your eyes. You glance up at the labels on the doors you're passing by.

Lounge.

Office 31.

Lab 28.

Infirmary.

Storage.

All the doors have keycard locks on them, so you don't bother to stop and try opening any. Instead, you just push yourself forward. 

There's no one around. The only sound is the squeak of your shoes against the tile floor. You turn one last corner and quickly come to a stop. You've reached a dead end.

Too fatigued to turn back, you slump against the wall. You pull your legs up and wrap your arms around them, burying your head in your knees.

You breathe heavily, body aching, while your thoughts race in your head.

'If only I could remember,' you think, frustrated. You screw your eyes shut, once again digging to remember anything. You focus on the things you have remembered, but still nothing new comes to mind.

You groan loudly and lean your head back against the wall, growing angrier and angrier at your failed attempts to find your hidden memories.  

You know you can find them. You can feel it. It's like they're tucked away in a box, locked up. 

And all you need is the key.

You furrow your eyebrows, recalling what you learned about Xurkitree. More specifically, you think of how Xurkitree held you captive for nearly two years, trying to "fuse" with you, or whatever. Its attempts overloaded your body with electricity.

That's where your memories were cut off.

'If electricity was a factor in my memories being lost, then maybe it can help me find them,' you think to yourself, a plan hatching in your mind.

You look down at your hands, focusing on the pulse of electricity in your body. It's faint, but you can still feel it.

You clench your fists, straining to bring the electric power up to your fingers. You can feel the tingling sensation in your veins.

It gets to be too much, and you groan as you open your fists, muscles loosening. 

'I can do this,' you tell yourself as you shift and hold your hands out once more. Closing your eyes, you reach out for that buzzing in your veins.

You can feel it growing in your body, and you focus on sending the currents to your hands. You open your eyes and see your trembling hands glowing slightly.

You push harder, forcing more electricity to your fingers, and with one last hard breath, your hands shine brightly with sharp sparks, illuminating the darkened corner you're occupying.

Your eyes widen at the sight. Electricity is bouncing between your fingertips, jumping through your skin and into the air, and then back to your hand.

You refocus your attention on your plan and swallow thickly. Your heart races as you nervously bring your hands up to your head.

'It's only going to be a small shock,' you remind yourself, 'that's it. Nothing dangerous.'

 You poke your pointer fingers out and bring them closer to your temples. You can feel the sparks jump around in your closed palm, making their way up to your extended finger and out into the air.