Chapter ♞ 47: Cupid's Arrow Was Off (2)

Start from the beginning

"Dear God..." Haruhi moaned as she picked up her jacket and headed out.

Unknown tension you had been holding was released as you exhaled a deep breath. You had to convince yourself that you weren't technically lying to your best friend, just withholding information. You knew she'd be understanding but you also knew that she'd be heartbroken. And, telling her would cause a domino affect. Once she knew, the rest of the Host Club should know too-

"May I?" Kaoru kept a distance though outstretched his hand to you. He peered down at you, waiting for you to accept, as your mind processed.

You hesitated. "I'm no good. I don't even plan to dance at this thing," you laughed softly, though his face was so serious, you felt bad turning him down. Eventually you place your hand into his, inching close to his body. 

"It's fine. I don't know why they let a beginner teach you how to dance in the first place. I find that going with the flow and just following the music is best anyhow." 

It was like Kaoru had to muster up courage in order to place a hand onto your waist, and he gripped onto you tightly. His grasp was still delicate though... almost as if..

As if you could disappear in any moment, if he wasn't careful.

It was hard to look up at him, as a deep and heavy feeling arose into your chest. There was guilt because you wanted to tell him so badly that you were going- but that would certainly ruin the moment. Instead you chose to lay your head onto his chest, listening to the music in one ear and his steadying heart beat in the other. 

"You haven't told her yet?"

You tensed, too lost in thought.

"Told her what?"

"About the dress she's suppose to wear. You know part of the plan to make her realize that dating Tamaki isn't the end of the world."

"Uh.. getting to that. I was thinking of just dragging her into a dressing room and saying I had her tux. But then 'boom' it'll be just the dress instead. And then... she'll either have the choice of going outside butt naked or wearing the dress."

"Wow, solid plan." Kaoru congratulated you, with only a hint of it being a joke. "Is there anything else you wanna share?"

"Actually yeah."

He waited for your response, keeping your bodies swaying to the melody, though his heart rate had noticeably picked up.

"You... you smell like pickles, my guy." You snickered, pretending to take an over dramatic whiff of his chest. "And is that thousands of broken hearts I smell on you?"

"Excuse you? I've only turned down 50 girls at most!" 

"Look through the screen." 

"HUH-"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I'm actually really excited about tonight." You laughed out, as you pulled away from him, only to do a dramatic twirl. This was the first time you got to get a decent look at Kaoru's face up close, as he gazed down at you. His expression was so open and honest. 

You both froze, as he opened his mouth to say something, and you just stared right back. You could feel the blood pool in your cheeks as you unconsciously moved closer, him leaning downwards as his gaze was on your lips. 

I should tell him. I'm leading him and Hikaru on, they need to know. I'm being a horrible person.

"K-Kaoru," you breathed, as he closed his eyes, nose brushing against yours and leaning towards yo-

There was a loud slam which caused you both to jolt apart. Both of you had red cheeks and reacted like children would had been caught with sweets. 

"Sorry did I interrupt something?" Kyoya asked innocently, as he adjusted his glasses and fixed the book that had slammed down onto the counter. 

"Nothing!"

"Nope!" You both exclaimed at the same time, scooting away from one another. "I'm actually heading out, I have to pick out a dress from home anyhow." You explained, tucking a loose strand of hair behind your ear. 

"Well preparations are finalized and you both have four hours to get ready. And why are you getting another dress? Renge already has one for you that she made sure to bill to the Host Club."

You quirked an eyebrow. "Just return it," you gasped as you remembered the dress she had been urging you to buy but the price tag was absolutely horrendous. That dress was three months of rent... 

"It's fine, what's done is done. Y/N, I do need you to check on Mori and Honey-senpai just to ensure that they're... getting alone and Kaoru please find your brother. Special arrangements have been made for you both for tonight's festivities." 

"But-" you started but was cut off. 

"No buts. Just go." Kyoya finished. "Be sure to check  back here when you're finished."

You and Kaoru gave one another a lingering look before parting ways. Neither of you dared to defy Mommy Kyoya. 

-

I made a discord so you can personally nag me to update. :) But seriously, I hope you all are staying safe if you're quarantined!! This virus is forcing me to update, so that's a plus haha.