Repairing A Friendship

Start from the beginning

"We're fine, I guess." I shrugged.

"Is he your boyfriend yet?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't do relationships."

"Why not?"

"Love . . . love isn't something I'm longing for. I've seen people in it and I've seen it crumble and break a person. I don't want to go through that."

He nodded then set his now empty cup on the table. We sat and stared at each other. I didn't have anything to say and it looked like he didn't either.

"How's the search?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Okay, I've found a source. . . Well, Calum did because Luke asked him to."

"What's your source?"

"A girl named Piper." He nodded. "Ash?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think I'm falling for him?" He opened his mouth then closed it. I shook my head, realizing how ridiculous my question was. "Never mind, it was a stupid question anyway."

"No, no . . ." He sighed. "I'm just surprised you asked a question like that."

"Let's just forget I asked," I set my cup on the table and grabbed a pillow.

"It's good to talk about things like that, L."

"I know, it's just that I'm not the one who usually talks about it."

He chuckled. "It's fine, even for you, to talk about. Don't worry about it." I rolled my eyes and huffed. "And yes, I think you are."

"Can I stop it?"

He shrugged. "Maybe, but you'd probably regret it," He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me to his chest. "Just let everything fall into place, okay?"

"I don't want to fall in love," I muttered.

"You say that now, but you'll love it later."

"Ash?" I looked up at him, his dimpled smile and bushy hair. He's changed so much in the past few years, yet he's the same Ashton I use to hang out with.

"Yes, L?"

"Why don't you wear your glasses anymore?"

"I . . . " He sighed and ran his free hand through his hair. "I threw them when I came home that day and they shattered. I didn't bother getting a new pair since I have contacts."

I nodded and laid on his chest, just like we use to do when neither of us could sleep. This was just like old times, we would make coffee, talk for awhile then doze off, usually him before me.

"Ashton?" I heard someone yell.

I groaned and sat up, rubbing my eyes. I looked at him sound asleep, snoring a bit. I chuckled as I grabbed our two cups and brought it to the kitchen. I put it in the sink and brewed a fresh new batch of coffee.

"Ashton?" His mom walked into the kitchen, surprised to see me. "Lola," Her eyes wide.

"Good morning, Anne," I smiled, pouring her a cup. "Coffee?" I handed it to her then poured myself one.

"It's good to see you " She smiled at me. "It's been a long time."

"I know," I took a sip then set my cup down. "It's been awhile, I just couldn't sleep and neither could he."

"How are you?"

"Still the same," I shrugged.

"Any leads?"