Chapter 27

J.K.Rowling owns everything!

-----------------------

A pop heard only by the local wildlife, sounded in the small stone dwelling situated on the side of a small hidden valley not too far away from the Munro Ben Alder in the highlands of Scotland. The birds took off into the sky and the rabbits started and ran for shelter at the sound, leaving complete silence in its wake – silence that lasted a total of 30 seconds before Hermione stumbled and started fumbling with a quill and some parchment in desperation to write down the instructions that had been written on the pieces of paper in Harry's office. As she was writing the last letter of the last word, she suddenly stopped. Staring at what was in front of her, her hands started shaking and she started to laugh maniacally in disbelief. However, the laugh soon turned into a sob and her legs gave out as she cried on the floor.

Several hours later, Hermione stirred from her unfocused gaze and sent an owl to Draco with a time to meet and the address of a closed Church two villages over. Then she waited.

----------------------------

"Everything alright?" Draco asked by way of greeting.

"I'm bringing them back."

"I'm sorry, I must have missed the first half of this conversation."

"My father. My mother." Hermione finally turned around from her place at the front of the Church. "I've found a way of bringing them back."

Draco froze and tried desperately to hold back his gulp of fear. "Are you sure that's a good idea? The public isn't going to welcome your father back with open arms."

"And you think I'm going to be welcomed back?" Hermione asked. "I don't plan on us staying in England."

"Then where?"

Hermione's eyes glazed with a distant look and she smiled softly. "Maybe we could go and research the magical wonders in South America or travel to Asia and eventually hike up Mount Everest."

"Hermione-"

"I just want to spend some time with my parents." Hermione's eyes turned pleading. "I don't want to get back at anyone anymore. I have a chance to see my mother, get to know my father properly. I don't want to risk that chance by doing anything to jeopardise it."

Draco said nothing for several seconds. "Why are you telling me about it?"

"Because I trust you and I need your help."

"Is that all?"

Hermione swallowed slowly and said dully, "Yes that is all." When she said this, a light dimmed in Draco's eyes as he held back his disappointment. "We won't bother anyone. Draco, please."

Draco sighed. "What do you need?"

Hermione's eyes lit up.

-----------------

Three weeks later Hermione and Draco were set up in the abandoned Church and organising the final preparations.

"I'm sorry you won't be able to bring back your mother," Draco muttered as he watched Hermione cut up the petals of buttercups with more force than necessary. They'd found out two days ago that due to the state of her mother's remains, it would be impossible to bring her back.

Hermione didn't reply and looked at the checklist instead, ticking another step off their list. "Let's begin."

-------------------

Harry Potter was standing in his office at the Ministry, staring at the board that showed all of Hermione's movements before she had been arrested and the random instances afterwards that could be connected to her. He rubbed his eyes and sighed, having to tell himself over and over that this was no longer his school friend, that they were very different people.

A knock sounded at the door, interrupting the near constant loop in his head. "Come in."

"Sir, a report of a large surge of magic in a very muggle area of Scotland has come through." He paused. "They think it could be Hermione Riddle."

Harry stood motionless, staring at the picture of his once best friend. "Categorise this mission as level 9 risk. Those fit to attend need to gear up immediately." He said tonelessly. "Everyone needs to be on high alert."

--------------

Four hours in, Hermione and Draco were on the final and most dangerous stage of the procedure, making them incredibly on edge.

"And you're sure that's only a pinch?" Hermione was fretting. "You haven't picked up a pinch and a half?"

"It's only a pinch," Draco reassured her before putting the pinch of ground up arsenic into the potion. "See, no explosion."

Hermione released a laugh of relief and was just about to put in the next ingredient when her ears pricked up and both of them froze. "Did you hear it?" She whispered, looking at the large doors at the end of the Church.

Draco nodded and picked up his wand. "I'll check it out." He said, walking towards the side door. His hand had only just touched the doorknob when the main doors were blown open. Harry Potter and his merry band of Aurors about to charge through when the world suddenly went white, followed by a large bang.

-------------------------

Not a long chapter I know. Sorry...