This World Inverted

Looking around in amazement and with a smile as Toni watched what looked like snowflakes, floated down to the forest floor.

"Welcome to the Seelie Glade, Ladies. The remotest edges of it." Meliorn said smiling at Toni.

"How did we get here?" Clary asked.

"There are entrances all through the mundane world." Jace answered.

Toni looked over her shoulder at Jace and Clary, "Even I knew that."

Meliorn gave her an impressed look, "You just have to know where to look."

"Why did we have to come here to find my father?" Clary questioned.

"Because of your necklace. It's a Portal shard."

Jace scoffed, "Tell us something we don't know."

"How does it work?" Meliorn asked.

"When I touch the crystal and I think of someone, I can see where they are."

Toni watched as Meliorn's mood changed from flirtatious to unamused when he looked over at Jace, "I'm curious, Shadowhunter, who knows so much about Portals, did you never wonder why this Portal shard doesn't behave the way normal Portals do?"

"Normal Portals can only take you to places you've been. I guess I never really thought about it."

Meliorn smiled, "I see Isabelle is the smart one in the family. Your Portal shard works the way it does because it's a piece of a Portal from another dimension."

Toni furrowed her eyebrows, "Another dimension? How?"

"You're saying there's a Portal in some other universe that can take us to anyone if we just think of them?" Jace asked.

"If you can find the only Portal still standing in that dimension... it will take you to your father." Meliorn explained, they continued walking until they came up to some trees, "These trees are where the alternate dimensions intersect the Seelie realm."

"How is it possible that the Clave doesn't know about your dimensional doorways?" Jace asked.

"They are our most guarded secret. We are their protectors. Only Seelies know of their existence." Meliorn said.

"Then why are you telling us?" Clary questioned.

Toni nodded in agreement, not knowing why he would risk their most guarded secret.

"I owe you a life debt..." he trailed off and looked over at Toni, "both of you and I don't like being indebted to anyone."

"What would happen if..." he cut Clary off.

"If the Seelie Queen finds out I've shared this with you?"

"You'd be killed." Toni guessed and he nodded.

"Well, we'll be extra careful then." Jace said.

Meliorn frantically shook his head, "There is no "we" in this scenario," he pointed in the girls direction, "Only Clary and Toni go in to find the Portal. My debt is to them."

That angered Jace and he took a step in front of the girls, "You've given us no reason to trust you, Seelie."

Toni rolled her eyes before moving over to Meliorn's side, "Speak for yourself."

"He brought us here." Clary added.

Toni's jaw dropped when she saw Meliorn use magic, she thought only warlocks had magic, she watched as he moved tree branches to the side with magic.