Chapter 24 - In Which We Almost Endure a Story Time

Author's Note:

Tomorrow, it will be exactly a year since I first came onto Wattpad. I can't believe it. Time has gone by so fast and The Hidden Swann is almost complete. Only a few more chapters to go. Woudn't it be amazing if I finish it tomorrow or by tomorrow? That would be pretty epic. 

I hope you all enjoy this chapter even though it is slightly shorter than normally. I am looking for an editor for this story since I am almost done. I will edit it myselft if no one can be found but I think it will be good for a different set of eyes to read this story. Maybe pick up on things that I always oversee. One more thing, if you are thinking of offering me your services, please beware: I am very picky about who I will trust my baby to(Yes, The Hidden Swann is my baby. Sue me). So please don't feel bad if I say no. I would probably say no to myself if I wasn't myself.  

Comment/Vote/Fan! :D

--------------------------------------

“Annalee? What on earth are you doing here?” Father cries when I step up from the ladder onto the Dauntless

“Hello, Father.” I lower my eyes, trying to wrack my brain for a plausible explanation. 

“Were you kidnapped too?” He asks, gathering both Elizabeth and I into his arms. The worry and love in his voice is overbearing and I wriggle involuntarily in his grip. 

When he finally lets us go, he takes a good long look at my dirt streaked face, so filthy that even Elizabeth hasn’t even noticed my cut yet.

“When did you last wash yourself?” He asks, completely forgetting that I haven’t answered his previous question, thankfully. 

“In a long, long, long time.” I say with a tired laugh. A long, hot bath sounds like the nicest thing in the world at the moment.

“Then, both you girls head to the captain’s quarters and wash yourself up.” He orders, gently, giving us both a final squeeze.

“But we’ve got to save Will!” Elizabeth protests.

“No.” Father immediately replies, “You’re safe now. We will return to Port Royal immediately, not go gallivanting after pirates!”

“Then we condemn him to death.” Elizabeth states, hoping to quilt Father into seeing her side.

“The boy’s fate is regrettable, but, then, so was his decision to engage in piracy.”

“To rescue me. To prevent anything from happening to me.”

Lizzie turns to me for support but I nod in agreement with Father.

“How dare you!” She shouts.

“Elizabeth! Don’t speak to your sister in that way!” Father instructs but Elizabeth isn’t listening.

“You would really send Will to his death just because he forgot you?” She accuses me.

I nod, fervently. “He forgot me twice!” I argue back, “And if it weren’t for Jack, I would be have died. Both times.” 

“But you are not dead, are you?” Elizabeth retorts.

“No thanks to Will!”

“If I may be so bold as to inject my professional opinion, “Jack interrupts, speaking to the Commodore who had led the search. I jump, shocked as I had forgotten that he had been picked up from the island as well. “The Pearl was listing near to scuppers after the battle. It’s very unlikely she’ll be able to make good time. Think about it. The Black Pearl. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean, mate. how can you pass that up?”