Chapter 3 - In Which Fruit is Grown in a Stomach

Author's Note:

Hi Everyone,

I just finished this chapter last night (miraculously). I haven't edited it or anything so I might make slight changes in the next few days or so. I hope you enjoy! :)

Picture of Captain James Norrington on the right. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Lizzie and I slowly make our way down the steps, we can hear Father and our guests already in the dining room, their voices softly drifting through the hallway and at the entrance, separating down the different passages, only a small portion of it reaching out ears.

Just before entering the dining room, we stop in front of a large full length mirror to get an overall look of ourselves.

Lizzie is radiant in a violet gown, simple and elegant with only small ruffles on her sleeves, pearls outlining the boat neckline and bows adorning the front of her gown until her waist. The bottom of her gown is split in two exposing a fake under dress, only one shade lighter than the rest of the gown.  Her hair is worn curled and up, under a small cap decorated with large dark purple roses and small cream birds made of fabric.

My dress is a soft olive green with large cream ruffles made of tulle adorning the ends of the tight three quarter length sleeves. Smaller cream ruffles trace the square neckline and large simple buttons, also cream colored, follow my spine. The front of the dress, the chest and stomach, is styled in a corseted way with cream ribbons criss-crossing until finishing at my waist with a side bow and the remaining ribbons cascading down. Cream colored thread has been interwoven into the hem of my dress. My hair is clipped back at either side with cream flowered clips and the large curls finish their descent at my shoulders.

Satisfied with our appearance, Lizzie and I enter the dining room.

Across the large room, we see Father, Captain Norrington and Gillette seated and awaiting the meal. We slowly make our way to them and take our seats, Lizzie beside the Captain and in front of me, and me beside Gillette. Father sits at the head of the table with the other two men at his side.

“Ah, finally! We were wondering how long it was going to take.” Gillette says good naturedly, but I just glare at him and he returns to his wine.

Father gestures to the maid standing in the corner and she disappears through a door which leads to the kitchen.

The men converse for a few more minutes before the food starts appearing.

For the first course, we are served a light soup made of onions. In the soup, a slice of a baguette is placed with melted cheese over top.

Next the servers bring us plates with exactly four oysters, raw of course and a small cup of some sort of cream to dip the oysters in. I stare at the gooey animals before making a face and pushing them away. A server quickly picks the plate up and whisks it away.

 “What do you think, Annalee?” Captain Norrington asks, leaning back in his chair.