Chapter 12 - In Which a Leaf is a Saving Grace

Author's Note: 

Hey  Everyone!

I just wanted to apologize for taking so long to upload another chapter. I haven't had much time and I probably won't for hte next few weeks due to exams. I still will try to upload around one chapter a week, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I swiftly turn around towards the other side of the room.

“Thomas!” I shout, “Thomas! Help!”

Thomas jumps up in a flash and is by my side within seconds.

“What’s wrong?” He asked frantically, “What is going wrong?”

“It’s Greaves.” I choke out, slightly surprised at how distressed I am feeling.

Thomas feels Greaves forehead, like I did, and when he pulls back, he doesn’t look happy.

I then remember from Thomas’s story back at the cave that Tortuga has no doctor and the only medicinal thing around in alcohol which wouldn’t work at all in this situation. Back in Port Royal, being sick isn’t such a big deal. Although it isn’t something we just brush off, death doesn’t even cross our minds unless the sick or injured is seriously ill. We have doctors and medicine. 

Here though, it is another story. Sickness here can be deadly, even the illnesses that are not normally considered lethal.

I can feel my heartbeat getting faster.

 “What do we do?” I shout.

Thomas doesn’t respond, and his eyes betray helplessness.

Suddenly he jumps up and heads for the door.

“Stay here with him.” He says before darting through the door and into the night.

I turn back to the old man, my mind too preoccupied to be curious as to where Thomas was going.

Thomas returns fifteen minutes later, and by now, Greaves is officially unconscious. I had thrown a cup full of cold water and he hadn’t even stirred.

Thomas kneels down at my side beside the cot and brings out a small cloth.

He unwraps it, revealing some plant leaves.

“Boil some water and place these two leaves inside, letting them soak for a few minutes. Then, take them out and soak some bread with the liquid to camouflage the taste as it is quite bitter. Place it under his tongue and leave it there. Hopefully, that will bring his temperature down.”

I quickly heat some water using the burning ashes which are under the burnt out fire. I then take out a loaf and slice it while waiting for the leaves to soak.