5

Know Your Worth

‘For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?’

Matthew:16:26

    Now you may wonder what exactly this seemingly eerie scripture has to do with self worth. When speaking of self worth my definition of self worth is as follows: The value at which we personally view ourselves; The value we determine about ourselves based on certain factors. In my opinion self worth, self esteem, and self image are completely different aspects of the same thing, but not the same thing at all.

    The scripture above stresses the importance of analyzing our quests, adventures, and paths in this life to make sure that our intentions are pure and right. We must be sure that we aren't allowing things like greed, want, desire and other things to command our lives.

    If there was anything to be said, I think that this scripture should be in the top ten. It important for us as individuals not to lose sight of ourselves in the middle of a world where it is so easy to get caught up into the mix of things. It's so easy to get caught up in material things, or things like money and reputation. One of the main things that effects our self worth of ourselves is how people view us. We put so much credit into how other people view us that we never question it.

   First let's take a look at what this scripture says: : ‘For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?’ This first part is very clear in its meaning. What have you really profited, what have you really gained if you gain all the things of the world and your soul is lost?

    You see when it says the world, it means everything out there that isn't what God expects you to be doing. All the things out here that have no value. Whether physical, mental, emotional, it is all the same. Well you may say: I don't know what she's talking about God wants me to have this and have that. That is true, God wants us to have the best in life.

   The thing is things of the world can cause you to lose sight of God, and to loose yourself in the process. Anything that is not good usually has a price, and that is your soul. The Bible says do not store your treasures where the moths will take of it, and it will fade away. But store your treasures up in heaven where they will be forever.

     I don't want to take too long on this we have much more to cover, but when you try gaining materialistic things, gaining approval of others, and envying what others have it effects your self worth. You start thinking well I don't have this so I must be less than her/him, or they rejected me so I must be nobody. That is furthest from the truth. You are a child of the King, the most high God how can it get better than that?

     The same God who rules all earth, and controls all things. The same God who can do anything. Here you are sitting around saying well I'm ugly, I'm a nobody. They said this about me so it must be true. God's looking down like okay whenever you're ready to hear what I have to say.

   God loves you. John 3:16 says God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, and whoever believes in him won't perish but have everlasting life. That's right he loves you! He knows the exact number of the hairs on your head! Can you think of anybody else who would take the time to know that about you?