440

However Many Were Killed, Save That Many People

Xuan Tian Ming’s words were like a pill that set Feng Yu Heng’s mind at ease. Her emotions gradually calmed down, and she turned her gaze to the refugees. She no longer felt afraid. Everything relied on human effort. No matter how great the difficulty, they just needed to take it on together. She had already said that she would help protect this country. With her here, the world would not descend into chaos. Even if there was an epidemic, it would not spread!

Feng Yu Heng raised her head and looked at Xuan Tian Ming, her gaze becoming resolute. In fact, she curled up the corners of her lips into a smile, loudly saying: “I’m not scared!”

Xuan Tian Ming laughed then let out a laugh and suddenly exercised his inner force. He shouted loudly down at the people near the city’s gates: “All soldiers, heed my orders!”

This shout broke through the rain and sounded like thunder. Even the booms caused by the refugees slamming the gate was suppressed.

Everyone looked up. The soldiers stood with solemn expressions, while the refugees also stopped their ramming. The people that had been lying down all sat up, while the people that had been praying put down their hands. For a while, everyone turned their attention to the top of the city walls. Although they could not clearly see what sort of person was standing there, they knew that anyone capable of shouting through this rain was not a normal person.

While everyone was watching him, Xuan Tian Ming spoke up once more. It was full of power; however, it caused everyone to feel shocked because he said: “Surround the city’s gates and arrest everyone that was ramming the city’s gates!”

The soldiers had been irritated by these refugees long ago, but they were afraid that they would arouse even more of the people’s wrath. That was why they endured time and time again. Now that Xuan Tian Ming gave the order, the soldiers did not continue to have any worries. The force that they had been suppressing was instantly revealed. After just a moment, the refugees that had been causing trouble were completely suppressed in an encirclement.

Feng Yu Heng recognized them. Outside the city, the majority of the soldiers were from the military camp. Naturally, they would be stronger than the guards of the city.

The refugees that did not rush forward saw that these people had been stopped and wanted to go forward to help them. Unfortunately, those that did not participate in the ramming of the wall were old, weak, women or children. How could they have even the slightest bit of combat power. Some of them were not even able to stand up. They could only look up at the top of the city’s walls. At the same time, they all had the same thoughts in their minds: Will we be killed?

Xuan Tian Ming welcomed the gazes of everyone down below without a trace of fear. He just reached out and pointed at the people that had been surrounded and loudly said: “You should be able to see it. Da Shun’s soldiers only need to move a little bit, and they are able to completely stop you. This city gate is used to defend against foreign enemies. This prince thought that there might come a day when the ruler of a foreign country might try and knock down this gate; however, I never thought that the people of Da Shun would be the ones to do it.”

His words left everyone feeling dissatisfied. They all began shouting, and it sounded very messy; however, a few words would occasionally be heard. Feng Yu Heng heard the citizens say: Why do Da Shun’s city gates not let Da Shun’s people enter? Our homes are gone, but why does the capital not take us in? Which prince are you? Will you kill us?

She turned to look at Xuan Tian Ming. His face was covered by the golden mask, which hid all of his emotions; however, the purple lotus flower between his eyebrows became darker and darker. She knew that the darker the lotus flower became, the more turbulent Xuan Tian Ming’s emotions were. They held their hands tighter, and she could practically feel the difficulty in his heart. Those people down below were his citizens!