417

The Marriages of the Two Daughters

Feng Yu Heng shaking her head caused Xiang Rong’s heart to sink, as a feeling of absolute despair filled her mind. When she looked back at Feng Jin Yuan, her eyes only revealed two words: total resignation.

Immediately following this, Feng Jin Yuan spoke up once more, saying something that nobody could have expected: “A few days ago, the Bu family came to discuss a marriage on the behalf of the General of the East, Bu Cong. The one that they were interested in was Xiang Rong. Father and your grandmother have discussed this and have already agreed to this.

Xiang Rong subconsciously took a couple steps back and was caught in An shi’s embrace. Feng Yu Heng furrowed her brow tightly. She absolutely never thought that the person would be Bu Cong.

Bu Cong… She began to think about it. The Bu family had always been in support of the fourth prince, Xuan Tian Yi. With Xiang Rong becoming engaged to Bu Cong, it was clear that the Feng family was looking for another path for themselves. Since this was the case, why not directly send her into the Ping Palace?

While Feng Yu Heng was thinking this, Chen Yu was also wondering. She knew that the family could not place all of its hope in her alone. Sooner or later, these two younger sisters would need to be sent to a prince’s side. But she never thought that Feng family would have a different train of thought, sending her to the Bu family and the fourth prince.

She calmed herself down and took the initiative to say: “Congratulations, third sister.”

With her speaking, Han shi and Jin Zhen also followed up, saying: “Congratulations, third young miss.”

Cheng Jun man looked at Xiang Rong and sighed to herself; however, she still followed along with what everyone else had said: “Third young miss, with your marriage set, we will need to exchange engagement notes. After that, there will be the official proposal, asking of names, checking of compatibility…” She paused for a moment then asked Feng Jin Yuan: “Husband, did the Bu family say whether the third young miss would be getting married as the official wife or the secondary wife?” She did not say concubine. After all, as the daughter of the prime minister, even if she was not to be the official wife, it was impossible that she would be a lowly concubine.

Feng Jin Yuan looked at Xiang Rong face that was filled with despair, and his heart became filled with unhappiness. He immediately snorted in anger and said: “Don’t believe that the family has not thought about you quite a bit. In the past, the daughter of a concubine has always been the secondary wife, and that Bu Cong is also the main general. Normally speaking, if you were to get married, it would already be quite good if you could be the secondary wife, but father still fought to provide you with the position of official wife. Xiang Rong, think about it carefully. Has the Feng family treated you well or poorly?”

Xiang Rong was unable to hear these words, but An shi took them to heart. She naturally understood how important the position as the official wife of the general of the East was. For Xiang Rong to have this good fortune, put plainly, it was the Feng family that had treated her kindly.

She immediately expressed her thoughts, pulling Xiang Rong and kneeling down with her. She then kowtowed to Feng Jin Yuan and the matriarch, saying: “Thank you elder madam for supporting this, and thank you husband for this plan.”

But Xiang Rong did not say a single word. She had been tugged by An shi and mechanically kowtowed with a deathly still expression on her face. This caused Feng Jin Yuan and the matriarch to feel resentful.

It was not just those two that were resentful. Chen Yu and Fen Dai were also the same. Chen Yu had never thought that Xiang Rong could become Bu Cong’s official wife. What did this mean? Although she would be marrying a prince, in the end, she was still a secondary princess. Both of them were daughters of concubines, but Xiang Rong would be able to become the official wife of a general. As the elder sister, what face would she have left?