591

Her Own Man Looks Best No Matter How She Looks

“Hm?” Xuan Tian Ming was very confused by his question, “The three northern provinces are exempt from paying taxes. This was a regulation put in place over 100 years ago. What is it, do you have some doubts?”

The fat boss nodded vigorously, “I do! I have a great amount of doubt!” He seemed to be a bit emotional, his voice raising by quite a bit, as he said in a loud voice: “We have never heard of taxes being exempt. We need to pay taxes on everything that we do, and the taxes are very extreme. Half of the money earned from selling noodles needs to be paid to the government.”

Once this was said, Xuan Tian Ming’s group frowned in unison. Feng Yu Heng immediately realized that something was off, rushing to ask: “Then what about children attending school? What about seeing a doctor? The residences that you live in should have been passed down through the generations, right? There shouldn’t be any need to pay for them, right?”

This conversation was heard by the crowd, and everyone gathered closer with someone saying: “When it comes to children attending school and seeing doctors, Duan Mu An Guo said that Da Shun’s court is paying for half of the cost, and we only need to pay half the normal cost. As for the houses, they are passed down from generation to generation, and it is said that they were built by Da Shun, but we need to pay management fees to the court each year.”

Another person said: “That’s right! But this is already very good. If it wasn’t for the court covering half of the cost, how could children afford to attend school.”

Once this was said, Bai Ze slapped the table with urgency, angrily saying: “You’ve all been cheated by Duan Mu An Guo! You’ve been cheated for over 100 years! Over 100 years!”

“Cheated?” The people were puzzled, “How have we been cheated?”

Bai Ze angrily stomped his feet while Feng Yu Heng and Xuan Tian Ming exchanged a glance. Xuan Tian Ming then stood up and faced the citizens, raising his voice to say: “You have indeed been cheated. Ever since the northern provinces were taken by Da Shun over 100 years ago, my Xuan family recognized the North as a unique environment. Without any ability to produce food, thus it was recommended that you work on other things. We built houses, shops, academies and medical clinics for you. Aside from the base cost of medical herbs, the cost of seeing a doctor and getting medicine, the cost of sending a child to school, as well as the cost of housing, these have all been paid for by the court. There is no need for you to pay for it. Also, 100 years ago, the court had already exempted the northern provinces from paying taxes. You can keep all of your earnings without needing to pay a single cent to the government.”

“What?” Everyone was dazed. There was no need to pay taxes? But… “But only the families with daughters that were selected to enter the Winter Palace as concubines were exempted from paying taxes!”

Xuan Tian Ming shook his head, “Everything that this prince said is true. It’s been over 100 years, and the court has not asked for a single cent. Instead, they need to send a large amount of money to the North for the sake of allowing you to live happily. It was to allow you to experience Da Shun’s kindness and warmth, instead of leaving you here in the cold North for your heart to also become cold. As for the situation that you mentioned, this prince figures that it should be a result of Duan Mu An Guo deceiving his superiors and lying to his followers. At this time, when this prince’s army enters Song Zhou, we will definitely investigate carefully.”

Everyone cheered!

The news brought by Xuan Tian Ming truly caused them to feel overly shocked. The weird voice that had filled the main streets and small alleys earlier had said that if they wished to return to Qian Zhou, they needed to repay the money for the school fees and visits to the doctor. They thought that they needed to repay the half that they were exempted; however, who knew that Da Shun never asked them for it! All of it was done by Duan Mu An Guo!