431

Xiang Rong Rebels

On this day in the Feng manor, everyone woke up early and went over to Peony courtyard to gather without any prior agreement.

Originally, according to Feng Jin Yuan and the matriarch’s intentions, they should have gone to Pu Du Temple to invite a monk to perform a ritual. First, it was to redeem Chen Yu’s soul. Second, it was to dispel the bad luck in the family. But this rain was coming down too heavily, and a part of the road going to Pu Du Temple was ruined. Not a single carriage could pass through.

The monk could not be invited, thus the matriarch decided to invite four religious masters that were popular among the people. No matter whether or not they were skilled, either way, it was just something to be done symbolically.

The main hall of Peony courtyard had already been arranged for the masters. The four masters stood in place and awaited their orders. They were waiting for the time to begin chanting sutras and redeeming the soul.

When the Feng family gathered around, candles had already been lit. The masters said that they were called guiding lights. They were used to guide the dead person to the underworld.

Han shi was a little scared and was advised to return back to Yu Lan courtyard. The matriarch stood at the entrance of the hall and looked out. After looking for a while, she asked Feng Jin Yuan: “In such heavy rain, can they carry out the execution?”

Feng Jin Yuan gritted his teeth and said: “I heard that his Highness the ninth prince will supervise the execution personally.”

Upon hearing this, the matriarch knew that there was no hope. She let out a long sigh and complained to Feng Jin Yuan: “It really is a loss that you were the prime minister before. How could you not even see this situation clearly! The one that the Feng family should have placed its hope in was not Chen Yu. It was A-Heng! If we could have treated A-Heng better, who knows how much glory the Feng family would be enjoying right now.” There was more that the matriarch did not end up saying. Choosing not to favor a treasure that calls the ruling emperor father Emperor and helped train the troops of Da Shun while producing steel, instead, he had to favor a slut like Feng Chen Yu. They truly were blind!

The rain outside fell harder and harder. He Zhong ran in while wearing a coat and urgently reported: “The stage for the execution has already been set. The person sent by the manor to investigate reported that his Highness the ninth prince will be overseeing the execution personally. Eldest young miss has already been taken in the direction of the stage from the prison.”

Feng Jin Yuan was shaken and nearly teared up. After all, he had raised her for over ten years, and he had doted on this daughter for many years. To say that he was not pained would be a lie. But the matriarch told him: “Put away all of the pity that you feel for that slut! From this day forward, remove Feng Chen Yu from the Feng family’s genealogical record. The Feng family does not have this sort of daughter!”

Feng Jin Yuan gritted his teeth and had to remind the matriarch of a truth. “It was Feng Yu Heng that did something to Chen Yu.”

These words happened to be heard by Xiang Rong, who had come over. She stopped and looked at her father with a very puzzled expression, asking: “If eldest sister did not do such a dirty thing with eldest brother, second sister would not have a chance to do anything, even if she wanted to. Father, what sort of benefits did eldest sister promise you that could have you still treat her this well after being demoted and having the manor taken away? Could it be that she is the only daughter in your life? Then what does second sister count as? What do Fen Dai and I count as?”

Xiang Rong had been inexplicably angry the past few days. For the matriarch and Feng Jin Yuan to hear this, she now dared to ask this out loud! Feng Jin Yuan angrily swung his hand, slapping Xiang Rong across the face and dropping her to the ground.