Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six: Annoying

"We'll give you one more fight, say one more line. Will I know you?" - The 1975: Robbers

-

 I continue looking down the stairs to make sure no one will come up to the cockpit. I strain my ears to listen for any noise indicating someone is coming down the hallway. I wait a moment just to ensure our safety. Tony, Clint, and I are standing at the top of the Black Order's ship; it is like I have the duty to be overly cautious and wary right now.

 "Monica, how did you disable all the security protocols and the aircraft's weaponry?" Tony asks from where he sits on a chair in front of the graphics table.

 "Skye gave me a flash drive that had a virus that just shut everything down," I answer as I turn my focus away from playing lookout. Tony grunts and grumbles something incomprehensible. Clint sits on another chair behind him fiddling with his bow. Tony works attentively on redirecting the missile. ​"I don't get it, why don't we just jet it off of here?" I ask, "We don't need the ship."

 "Because we need Black Dwarf alive. He's an asset if we can get him to talk. He's obviously not the leader of the Black Order, so if we could get him to tell us everything..." Tony replies, "And please shut up and let me focus."

 I stop talking to Tony so he can work on deflecting the missile. I turn my attention to Agent Barton when a thought dawns on me, "You know you didn't clear out the whole level."

 "I didn't?" He scrunches up his face.

 "No, Tony and I ran into multiple people," I frown.

 "How long is the drug supposed to last?" Hawkeye asks.

 "About 6 hours."

 "So how much longer do we have to deal with you like this?"

 "At least four more hours. More like four and a half."

 "It won't matter how long Monica is annoying if we don't reroute that missile," Tony huffs from where he leans over the computer table.

 "I am not annoying," I argue.

 "God, seriously, Monica? It's like you're drunk right now!" Tony exasperates.

 "That's-"

 "Mean? Sorry, but it's true."

 "That's not my fault," I look directly into Tony's eyes. He sighs as he turns his gaze back to the computer. "Am I supposed to be sorry that I took your place? I'm sorry I'm annoying when it should be you who speaks whatever comes to your mind? If I hadn't traded myself for you, it would be you right now with the parrhesia coursing through your bloodstream."

 "I would rather it have been me!" Frustration is laced in his voice.

 "But it worked out! Everyone is free now and all we have to do is down the ship and we're good!" I retort.

 "Yes, it worked out, but I never would want you to be in captivity! You're my daughter, I don't want you exposed to that! I lo-...."

 "I chose it, okay? I knew that you are more important to S.H.I.E.L.D. and the world than me. I knew if anyone could break me out from being held captive it would be you!"

 "You are no less important to everyone than I am. S.H.I.E.L.D. needs you just as much as they need me."

 "But I don't think I could have-"

 "Okay, we get it. Monica you have the perfect daddy that is willing to put your life in front of his and la-di-da we have 30 seconds before we all explode," Hawkeye interjects.