Chapter 6-B: Tomoe's Big Shoot

A gentle breeze flows through the house, softly flowing through our plants. Tomoe DM'd me saying she had a ballet themed shoot. She said they better not make her exert herself like a ballerina but she just had to pose. And I wasn't even with her when she broke in her pointe shoes.

Me and Hina work on our project together and Eve's with us too, but all she seems to care about is dad's flower arranging.

Eve's eyes flash and she excitedly blinks. "So Ran see any more ghosts?"

"Apart from Tomoe who ghost me all the time I can't say I have. I wonder if the one I saw crossed over."

Eve looks over into the kitchen and sees my dad. "So you really didn't want to arrange flowers? Are you kidding me that's so Japanese!"

Hina adds references to our PowerPoint. "Yeah it sounds pretty boppin. Did you see how we did this project? I was like woosh woosh! Then Ran was like seriously boppin! And Moca, oh my gosh Moca was very zappin!"

"If by zappin you mean eat all my Popcorners and sleep while we do all the work then sure, she was totally zappin."

Eve says, "I'm so excited for Tomoe did you hear about her big shoot?"

"Yes I have." And I have a terrible feeling about it.

Eve sips her tea then says, "You don't seem too happy about it."

"Who said I'm not happy about it?"

Eve sighs. "Seeing you sad makes me sad. I walked away from one bad shoot, but my warrior spirit is calling me back to the agency!" She stands right up.

"Your warrior spirit?" I think she means clout. I wonder if she's really into Japanese traditions because she wants to feel more Japanese? Even if she has a European parent she's still fully our friend.

"Exactly."

Eve closes her eyes breathing in deeply. "There's something I didn't tell you and, well, I get teased. They'll be like oh does Elsa think she's better than us? And say I get all the best shoots, but what if it's because I'm half Finnish? It's so not fair to them."

I check our project then tell Eve. "Haters only want to bring you down. I know you have friends at the agency too. Just remember we're your friends if anyone tries making you feel like an outsider."

"Oh yes! I kind of miss them. I mean yeah we text and everything but I still feel bad you know? And since I'm ready to go back I'll just ask them please no more problematic jobs."

Hina looks at Eve gasp and smiles. "Maybe you and Tomoe will be in a shoot together? That would be so zappin! Tomoe would be like boppity bop and Eve would be like zappity zap! Then our bands would be super popular because we'd have models and influencers."

Wow Hina's been doing so much between her music and our project and her art.

I check our Google Docs and wow Moca actually wrote something.

Oh, she's just telling us about her TikTok flop account. Oh she sent notes and research too.

I ask dad if I can cook everyone tacos and he agrees. I take everyone's orders and wish Tomoe were here.

Dad gets the spices I can't reach. Then I measure everything carefully. I stir fry the meat and chicken in peanut oil and add a few spices. I leave the lettuce and other toppings alone in a separate bowl to add later. I stir fry myself soy instead of beef and fry my flour taco in coconut oil. I add lime, jalapeno slices, lettuce, and put the sriracha on.

I hear them talking about Pastel Palette upcoming shows, Aya's funny poses, how happy Chisato was hanging out with Kaoru, and Eve's modeling friends. I'm not going to tell her what Ayano said, Eve really seems to like her.