Chapter 4-B: Oh no Tomoe please don't drift!

We're actually pretty early to school today.

I ask Tomoe, "You haven't been working on your fic lately have you?"

"Meh, all those rich guys at those parties could inspire new depths of shallowness for my characters. The billionaire and his supermodel wife die in a helicopter crash while the MC becomes famous for being a weird shallow stalker."

I laugh. "So any happy endings?"

"Actually there is. The MC's bestie is with someone she really likes. And the billionaire says right before he crashes hey at least people will actually care about our deaths. Then after that the MC's bestie is holding hands with her date walking down the beach."

"Hey that is pretty funny." I take my tablet out of my bag. "The billionaire romance genre is just asking to get parodied."

I sip my water. "Say Tomoe any idea what the new project's going to be?"

Mr.Lecturepants looks so happy I wonder if it's a funny meme or if he has a date?

"Okay class you're gonna love this!" He rolls his eyes half smiling and playfully says, "Moca you can wakeup now."

He calls on Hina to walk to the front of the class.

She walks to the front of the class and he asks her, "How old are you again Hina?"

"Sixteen."

"So how old's the Earth again?"

"Hmm, 4.5 billion years. Why?"

"Oh you have no idea how excited I am to get to that. Well how would you feel if there were people in their 40's and older who thought it was only 6,000?"

Hina looks confused, "Hmm, stupidity is not boppin. I saw a documentary where Logan Paul of all people made fun of flat earthers."

Mr.Lecturepants says, "Exactly Hina!"

He strokes his chin, "Hmm, wait didn't he post that tasteless for reasons we all know video in the forest?"

He blinks a couple of times, "Well anyway there are companies that spend millions convincing people of crazy nonsense. Well our project is climate change! I want everyone to get into groups and find 3 arguments saying climate change isn't real and you have to disprove them. Your generation is inheriting a world that you didn't even do anything to mess up."

Hina's gonna carry her group so hard I can tell. At least we have an easy assignment so I can get back to helping Tomoe.

Wait, Tomoe I'm not that way!

I ask Tomoe, "Umm, Tomoe? Don't you want to be with me and Moca?"

Is she...grouping up with those conventional popular girls?

"Ssssss, yeah, sorry Ran. I just feel like we should branch out, you know, get to know other people."

I do not like this, at all.

I stare Tomoe's group right in their eyes, scrunching my mouth. Tomoe's facing them so she can't see me. I scratch my collar very slowly and gently, letting my jacket sleeve fall so they can see my friendship bracelet, the same as Tomoe's.

"Hi Ran! I drew your friend and I was like woosh! Then I was like hmm, something's missing then I added a second shading layer and Tomoe came out so boppin!"

Everyone just loves Tomoe now don't they? Tomoe was actually shook by how nice the salespeople were at Bloomingdale's. I mean they're usually nice but from what she told me they were way way nicer. It was like that time a salesperson in another store told us when we were standing together bye have a nice day in an irritated tone like she was trying to rush us out, but welcoming instead of not. Funny how when you're dressed super comfy and don't even bother with makeup you get treated worse.