Beta! Hinanami (Hajime/Chiaki): Why Now?

@AREA__51, this is for you!

For this story, this will take place before the trip when Hajime was in the Reverse Course.

Also, I will be adding an OC into this for a small cameo, but the story will still be Hajime and Chiaki so don't worry.
————————————————————————
The fountain was the only place where he felt safe. In this world of students who have Ultimate Talents, it was hard to be a black sheep: a Reverse Course Student. He should be thankful that he was in Hope's Peak, but he didn't want to follow the same old high school routine.

The school bell rang, dismissing another day of classes. As a overflow of students left the building, one in particular caught his eye: Chiaki Nanami. Her pink eyes were dead set on her game console. She never looked away even when bumped into. She didn't even trip or miss a single step. It was like she had done it a million times.

'I guess that is why she is the Ultimate Gamer...' Hajime thought to himself. He chuckled as her brow furrowed and she pouted her lips.

"I saw that cheeky smirk, Hinata". A female voice chirped up, making him stand up in attention.

A girl wearing the Hope's Peak uniform stood there with her hands on her hips and a smile on her face. Her blonde hair faded to sea foam tips looked damp. Her golden eyes seemed to pierce into his soul. He had never seen her before, so how did she know his name?

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" Hajime asked.

"Kishiko Kakyoku. I am the Ultimate Mermaid Performer." The girl replied with a proud tone in her voice.

"That's not really a talent, is it?" He became skeptical about her proclamation. Was this one of those 'bottom of the barrel' talents?

"Hey! You can't go around calling people's talents 'fake'!" She accused, pointing a finger at him. He noticed a shimmer of gold on her arm. A tattoo? "That's rich coming from a guy who has no talent!"

"Of course he does, Kishiko." Chiaki appeared behind Hajime, once again scaring him. "He has the freedom to do whatever he wants. He has the power of the 'Wild Card'!"

"I see someone has been Shin Megumi Tensei again?" Kishiko giggled. "I knew you would like it enough to play it again!"

"Yeah..." Chiaki blushed, only to realize something. "Oh! Have you thought about what I asked you earlier?"

"Yeah, I did...I am sorry, but my class is going overseas for a transfer program over in the States. We'll be gone for the whole year." Kishiko replied sadly. "As much as I would like to go with you, this has been planned in advance and the tickets had been bought already."

"Oh..." Chiaki sighed in disappointment.

Kishiko saw this and tried to cheer her up. "Hey. I'll make sure to send you a lot of postcards, alright?"

Chiaki nodded. "Okay."

"I have to go now. See you tomorrow!" Kishiko waved as she ran off to two of her classmates who were calling her out.

That left Chiaki and Hajime alone. He scratched his head and tried to make small talk. "That girl sure is a weird one."

"Kishiko may be a bit blunt, but she does mean well." Chiaki reassured him. "She is really good at her talent."

Hajime grunted in response. "So...what was that thing you were asking her about?"

"It was just something for Golden Week." Chiaki shrugged. "Nothing special."

A small silence soon fell and it made them uncomfortable. Hajime swayed back and forth, whistling a little tune while Chiaki was examining her game console.

"Umm...I meant what I said." Chiaki quietly admitted. Hajime looked at her with confusion.
"I meant it when I said you do have a talent."

Hajime felt his face blush as he saw her smile. "W-why are you telling me this now?"

"So I don't regret it down the road." Chiaki answered. "Besides, it's the truth. You may not be able to see it, but deep down, there is something special in you. You don't need Hope's Peak to show you that."

"Chiaki..." Hajime whispered. His heart was beating out of his chest. She had always said that talent doesn't make you who you are, but now she is saying that he does. She put her console away and started to walk off, but Hajime caught her by the arm. "Wait!"

"Huh? What's wrong?"

Hajime swooped her down and captured her lips. It was short, but sweet and electrifying. Breaking away, Chiaki's face turned red as a tomato.

"W-why did you do that for?" She stammered.

"So I don't regret later down the road." Hajime repeated what she said, causing her to smile faintly.

The two of them went their separate ways home. Both of them lay in bed, thinking about that kiss. Both of them felt their hearts beating out of their chests. Both of them have fallen in love. That led them to think to themselves, 'Why now?'
————————————————————————
The End.