Nightmares

Dinner was quiet. I ate quickly, tuning out Mom's critique of Grady's day. She peppered her replay with strategic grilling of my brother, but he replied shortly, putting her in a bad mood.

Good, I thought, glancing at my mother. She can be in a bad mood just like the rest of us.

After my relaxing bath, I had been called downstairs to eat and I had regained my earlier anger and resentment as easily as if I had dressed myself once more in the dirty clothes lying on my bathroom floor.

I felt a small surge of triumph as I finished my meal and left, leaving Grady in her clutches. He looked at me desperately, but I ignored him. I was still angry and I wanted him to know it.

Thunder boomed outside as I climbed the stairs and I ran the last few feet to my bedroom. Grady had resumed his game before dinner and left it on and the flickering blue light gave the unfamiliar hallway an eerie atmosphere. I felt more homesick than I ever had.

I leapt into bed, pulling the covers high around my chin. Lightning sporadically illuminated dancing leaves against the wall and I shivered. Creepy, I thought as I watched them sway in crazy, jerking motions in a streak of lightning once more. Slowly, my complete exhaustion won out and I dozed off.

It seemed like hours had passed, but I was disoriented. It could have been minutes. A sudden clap of thunder woke me, making my heart race. I forced myself to breathe steadily, wondering if each breath was going to be my last. You're being ridiculous, I told myself.

The house seemed empty and a feeling of loneliness came over me. It was becoming more and more familiar. I longed for our former home. I heard Grady's even tread come down the hall and I relaxed. I was comforted in spite of my determination to hang onto my anger.

I drifted off once more as the rain slowed, becoming a steady drip. But in my dreams, an even stronger tempest was forming outside. It seemed like the wind and rain and thunder and lightning were working together to bring the house down.

I tried to run, but deep mud caked my feet and I sank into it, writhing and twisting in an attempt to break free. The more I struggled, the worse it became.

Suddenly, a hand grasped my shoulder, shaking it, and I tried to reach for it, but I couldn't move my arms. I opened my mouth to scream and another hand descended, stifling my fearful cries.

"Lindy, Lindy!" Grady's voice broke through my terror and I stopped moving. It was hard to get my bearings until a warm glow broke through the darkness from the bedside lamp.

"You were having a nightmare," Grady explained. He sat down on the edge of my bed, helping to free me from the covers wound around my arms and legs and pinning me against my bed. I realized I had created my own nightmarish prison.

I finally fought my way free, breathing hard from both the nightmare and the struggle. "Did I scream?" I asked, confused.

"No," Grady shook his head, "but you were about to."

"I'm glad you woke me up," I pushed back my hair. It was sticking with sweat to my forehead. "That was terrible."

Grady grinned his crooked grin. "Yeah, it sounded like it. I guess the storm didn't help."

I realized with a start that it was storming badly outside once more. Rain soaked limbs lashed at the windows and thunder rumbled overhead. I sat up, pulling my knees to my chest.

"So if I didn't scream, how did you know I was having a nightmare?" I asked, picking at my pedicure.

Grady shrugged uncomfortably. "I kind of.... Well, I kind of came to apologize. I'm... I'm sorry, Lindy."

I shrugged as if I was unconcerned. It was mean of me, but I was determined to keep giving him a hard time.

"Maybe we should talk about it tomorrow?" Grady suggested. He had the look in his eye that he knew exactly what I was doing and I couldn't help but grin slightly. He laughed, standing and stretching before catching his breath in pain.

"Ow," he grimaced. He paused in the doorway, one eyebrow raised. "Want me to shut it?" he asked, one hand on the doorknob.

I hesitated, biting my lip, before shaking my head.

I listened to him pad across the hallway to his room.

"You can leave your door open, too!" I called. "If you don't mind."

I heard him chuckle and the hallway light came on, creating a well-lit escape route should I need to flee the storm. I laid back down, safe in the knowledge that my brother was just across the hall.

I slept soundly the rest of the night.

****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!****