Breathe

“Ok guys, ready to start?” Sarah asked brightly as she flipped on the music. The pounding vibrations echoed through the rehearsal room. Taking a deep breath, I took my place behind the boys.

For the next hour, I danced harder than I ever had, the tears streaming down my face. I put everything into it, focusing my pain on each move and every step. Slowly, the dancing began to block it all out. As my tears dried, I felt only a deep sense of calmness. I remembered how it had felt the first time I attended dance class.

I was four years old. And I had loved it, twirling, spinning, kicking. I imagined I was one of the dancers I saw on television. And then, after class, Mom and my instructor had discussed what I needed to focus on.

As time passed, dance became less and less fun and more and more work. Near the end, I had hated and resented it as much as I had hated and resented….

I realized suddenly that the music had stopped. Everyone was staring at me as I moved to the tune in my head. I stumbled, ending my performance clumsily as I tripped over my own feet. Grady caught me, steadying me.

My face was glowing. I could feel the heat of embarrassment radiating off my skin. I stared at the floor intensely. Until I heard the clapping.

All of them were clapping for me, and it should have made me feel better, but it only embarrassed me more.

“Bravo, Lindy. You really let go that time,” Sarah chirped. “Don’t worry, you’re going to be great!” She went to the corner, fiddling with the music as she listed her critique notes for one of her assistants, who dutifully wrote them down.

Mom, of course, lingered at the edge, eavesdropping on Sarah as she spoke. I rolled my eyes and grabbed a water bottle from the table in the corner.

The cold water felt amazing against my parched throat and I finished half the bottle in one long gulp.

Ryder and Tom joined me while Bridge sank to the floor opposite the mirrors, dropping his head in his hands. Across the room, Hardyn was being lectured by Grant. Apparently he had not performed well today.

Ryder came to stand beside me and took a long sip of water. “So Lindy,” he whispered after a few moments of awkward silence. “You looked great today.”

“Really?” I asked. Tom stood apart from us, pretending not to listen.

“Yeah,” he grinned at me, flashing his brilliant smile that didn’t quite reach his brilliant blue eyes. “Listen, since you’re going to be around more, I thought we should talk about what happened.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” he shifted uncomfortably. “I… I… I’m sorry I kissed you.”

I felt as if I had been punched. I suddenly couldn’t breathe as I stared at him in shock.