65

clarification:
"mother" = Chaesung
Mrs Jung and Mrs Kim aren't really considered the boys' mothers yet.
☆☆☆

Hobi and Tae looked on, perplexed.

Sensing the tension, Chaesung broke the first layer of ice. She gently took Hoseok's hand, and led him to the empty seat in front of Mrs Jung. She tried to do the same to Tae, but the younger boy resisted. There was fear written all over his face, and Tae clutched Chaesung's shirt so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

"Tae, I'm here, okay?" She whispered to him. "I'm going to be right behind you-"

"No!" He whisper-shouted.

"Just one step behind you, okay?" Chaesung took a tiny step back and sat down on her chair. "Right here, okay?" Taehyung finally nodded.

Chaesung gestured towards the two ladies sitting in front of her boys. "Hoseok, Taehyung, this is Mrs Jung, and this is Mrs Kim." She said again.

"Um..." Hobi trailed off, but quickly bowed politely, as if remembering his parents' regular lectures on good manners and behaviour. "Hello. I am Hoseok. But most people just call me Hobi."

Mrs Jung smiled, although her eyes looked dreadfully tired. "Hobi. That's a pretty nickname. Who made it for you?" She asked.

"Jin-hyung did."

"Oh? Who's that?"

Hobi blinked, hesitating. Then, he said carefully, "He's our eldest hyung."

Hobi turned away, looking at Chaesung. His eyes were full of fear, full of confusion. Tae simply gripped Hobi's hand tighter, finding solace in his brother's presence.

Sensing the boy's apprehension, Mrs Kim slowly got up and approached Taehyung, who shrank back, jumped off his seat immediately and hid behind Chaesung.

"No, no, it's okay!" Mrs Kim said, holding her hands up defensively, panicked at Tae's response. "I'm not a scary person."

Still, Taehyung hid behind Hobi and Chaesung, refusing to budge.

"It's okay, Tae. I'm here, too." Hobi whispered, grabbing a tight hold of Tae's shivering hand. "We're going to do this, whatever it is, together, okay?"

Tae nodded, trying hard not to make his teeth chatter.

Chaesung pulled in two more chairs for Hobi and Tae to take a seat. Mrs Jung sat on the left side, across from Hobi, while Mrs Kim sat across from Taehyung.

"So, Hobi, right?" Mrs Jung said. Her eyes wavered, as if she was trying to think of something polite yet engaging to say. "Have you eaten breakfast?"

Tae raised his hand excitedly, as if he had forgotten about the tension. "He did, he did!" Tae squealed. "I made sure he ate!"

"That's only because someone took too much food for himself and I was just trying to help out. I did you a favour so now you owe me one!" Hobi stuck his tongue out at Tae. Chaesung immediately hit his thigh, making him yowl. Then, she grabbed Tae's by his shoulder and forced him to sit right back down.

She glared at the both of them, and they immediately quietened down. That was discipline's effect. With just one stare, Chaesung could control two boys.

"Where are your manners? Is this how you should behave in front of a guest?" Chaesung hissed. Both boys apologised to each other and shook their head no.

Both women looked at Chaesung, their eyes widened in amazement. "You have control over your boys." Mrs Kim commented with a tired chuckle. "My little boy back home is completely mad, out of control."