52

School. Who created school? Yoongi pondered over that question all day. He sat at the corner of the classroom anyway, so there wasn't anyone out and about to bother him. After all, everyone was afraid of him.

Scared because Yoongi knew how to twist his words and destroy all of them with his sass. The other kids didn't like knowing they had a sure-lose in the argument.

Who didn't like winning?

Yoongi turned his pen round and round, not giving a single heck to his teacher, who was going around the classroom, checking each student's homework. Yoongi sat in the first column, but the teacher had skipped him directly. She knew that Yoongi wouldn't have done his work anyway.

But she was wrong.

Yoongi had always done his work diligently. He kept a separate notebook, instead of the one the teacher would collect to check.

He was doing his work last night. His class has been studying the same book for the entire term. No one knew what the author's original intention was. It was just their wild guesses. But the teachers had their own "correct wild guesses". There was a question in his paper: Would you walk away from Omelas, if you have seen the child?

Perhaps the right answer might have been no, because we should stay and find some other way to take the child out of the basement, yet still remain happy, even though the author said the joy the townspeople enjoy must come with the price of the sacrifice child's happiness, yadda yadda. Yoongi sighed. He was tired.

Instead, Yoongi wrote, I will walk away, because the joy I lived in was fake. A fraud. It was all because of a mere child's misery. I would go to another place where everyone can live in happiness, where there is no price to be paid to live well.

In tiny letters at the bottom of the page, Yoongi added, that place is nowhere.

After he had finished his questions, Yoongi had tossed his book into his drawer and slid it shut. He wasn't about to take it to school with him.

What was the big deal about completing his homework, if the teacher would draw big, red crosses all over his papers anyway? He was so sick of being wrong.

What if he was right, and the teachers were wrong? Why must their exam papers be based so rigidly on that answer scheme? In that case, there's no point of argument, right? He'd always be wrong, as long as his words were not reflected in the Answer Sheet.

Still, as horrible a student as the teachers thought he was, Yoongi wasn't at all lazy or unbothered as people coined him to be. He barely speaks in class unless someone spoke to him directly. At his little corner of the classroom, Yoongi still diligently copies model answers. He relied on those "correct answers" to pass all his tests and quizzes with perfect grades. Well, not all the time, but it meant something.

*******

During gym class, Yoongi sat by himself on the bleachers, watching his classmates play a basketball match. No one wanted him on their team, because he claimed he didn't like moving his body.

The question was, do you like running?

Which meant that Yoongi's answer, a definite no, wasn't wrong or unusual of him.

None of them had ever asked him, do you like basketball? Which meant that no one bothered picking Yoongi to be in their team. They had an odd number of people in their class. With Yoongi sitting out, they could split into two equal teams, which also meant that Yoongi wasn't very missed during gym class.