Chapter 30

A few days had passed since Julie had learned about Johnny's death.  Harry was in the kitchen making a light lunch.  As anticipated, his wife was having a bit of an up and down time with the news.  One minute she seemed to accept it; the next she seemed to struggle with how she was feeling.  He also figured she wasn't being as open and honest with him, as she would be with someone else.  She knew his feelings towards Johnny.  Knew that he hated the bastard for how she had been treated, and what Johnny had done to her.  Harry tried to understand her being conflicted, and he was trying to be supportive, but Julie knew he wouldn't quite get it.  She needed her best friend, and in this case it was Amanda, not him.

So, this morning, he'd made the executive decision to call Amanda and ask her and Niall to come over.  They had been out of town until yesterday, and Julie refused to bother Amanda with the news while they were gone.  And then she said she needed to give Amanda time to settle before she told her.  He admired his wife's lack of selfishness, but sometimes it drove him crazy.  She needed to take care of her mental health, too.  He had talked her into writing for a bit after she talked to her agent earlier.  They were discussing a publishing date for her novel, and it was something she was struggling with releasing now as well.  Even though it was fiction, it was based enough on reality where she wasn't sure she wanted that much of herself out there.  He kept telling her that no one but those who knew her best and already knew her story would know any of it was based on truth, but of course she wouldn't see it that way.

Harry wiped his hands on the kitchen towel when the door bell rang and went to answer it.  He smiled as he saw Amanda standing on the step.  "Hey, you.  Thanks for coming."  He said as he hugged her and kissed her cheek.  He stepped back and let her inside and then shook Niall's hand and gave him a half hug.  "We need to find more time to spend together."

"Thanks for asking us."  Amanda turned and looked at Harry as he shut the door.  "But want to tell me why?  I'm a bit suspicious."

"I can't just ask our best friends to come spend some time with us?  I mean, we are about to have a baby, and we haven't seen you much at all.  And hardly at all since Thanksgiving."  Harry chuckled.

"I know.  But, something tells me this isn't that."  Amanda crossed her arms.  When Harry gave her a quizzical look, she rolled her eyes.  "You called me, Harry, JJ didn't. You didn't call Niall.  Usually JJ calls me, or you call Niall.  Not that it has to be that way, but normally if it's a 'let's just hang out' request, that's how it goes."

"Geez."  Harry shook his head at Amanda.  "Fine, I think she needs to talk to you.  We're good, before you ask.  But, sometimes she needs someone other than me, and now I think is one of those times.  You may be able to understand a little more than I can."

"What the hell is wrong?"  Amanda asked giving Harry a glare.

"I'll let her fill you in.  I think she's in her office.  She was writing last I knew."  Harry gestured to the stairs.

Amanda shook her head.  "I hate it when you do this.  Just tell me."

"You have done the same thing many, many times."  Harry laughed.  He picked up a tray he'd put some of the food he'd made on.  "Here's some lunch for the two of you.  Niall and I can eat out here."

Amanda took the tray never taking her eyes off of Harry.  "I'm not going to like whatever this is.  And I hate that."  She watched Harry shrug, gave Niall a glance, and then walked up the steps to find JJ.

Niall sat at the counter and picked a half of sandwich off of the plate Harry had them on.  "Ok, now that she's gone, care to share what's going on?"

Harry shook his head as he grabbed two beers from the fridge before joining Niall at the counter.  "A few days ago, Julie's mom called her and told her that Johnny was killed in a bar fight."