Chapter 40

Julie walked into the house and set the carrier down.  She had just had her six-week checkup.  Harry was supposed to look after, Grace, but after some discussion, they had decided he should take the last minute work meeting.  There had been talks about more movies and not just music, and at some point, things were going to have to move forward.  And, if she were honest with herself, she didn't mind doing something on her own.  He was, as she and everyone else anticipated, a wonderful, doting husband and father, and that had sometimes gotten to be quite overwhelming.  If he had been around for this appointment, there was no way he would have let her go by herself.  Well, she didn't actually; he made her have a driver.  She protested, but he seriously was in the middle of canceling his meeting until she agreed.  She loved him, more then anything, but he also annoyed her, more then anyone ever could.

She bent down and unbuckled Grace from her seat.  "Hi, little munchkin."  She smiled at Grace's wide open eyes.  "You ready for a change and a bottle?"  Julie was still having ups and downs about this motherhood thing.  She felt she could do it sometimes, and others, she felt like a complete failure.  The times she couldn't get Grace to stop crying for hours, or when she'd make a mistake and have to redo a bottle and make Grace have to wait longer to eat then she should have.  But she still tried hard to be everything she could for that baby who hadn't asked to be born into such a crazy existence.

Julie walked to the kitchen and made the bottle first.  She had learned quickly that changing Grace first was not the way to go.  Once she changed her, Grace anticipated eating, and not having the bottle ready was a huge mistake.  So, Julie adjusted, made the bottle, and then changed the diaper.  That way the crying time was less.  Grace was such a good baby.  She really only cried when she was hungry, uncomfortable, or wanted her mom or dad.  Once they switched her formula to the Gentleease, the uncomfortable cry almost disappeared.

Julie took her to the changing table and laid her down and smiled and played with Grace's toes for a little bit before changing her diaper.  She loved seeing how much more interactive Grace was in six short weeks.  But she couldn't play for long because someone was really hungry.  So, when the fussiness started, Julie hurried through the diaper change, washed her hands, and then sat down to feed Grace.  After this bottle, Grace should nap for awhile, and Julie could take a few moments to catch her breath.  Every day felt like a whirlwind.

Julie looked up and back when she heard the door.  "Hey, babe."  She said to Harry as he walked in.  "How'd the meeting go?"

"Hey, baby."  Harry replied as he walked towards the couch.  "Hi, peanut."  He said kissing Grace on the head before kissing his wife.  "They went well.  Still haven't made any decisions, but we can talk about it later.  How'd your appointment go?"

Julie nodded.  "Went fine.  Nothing unexpected."

Harry reached over and let Grace hold his finger as she ate.  She was growing up so fast.  They were still learning, but things were becoming easier for them as parents.  "That's great to hear.  Did you do ok on your own?  Was it hard having to manage her and her stuff by yourself?"

Julie shook her head.  "We did fine, Harry.  We weren't out for long. I didn't need to take more then her and a diaper bag."

Harry didn't look up from Grace. She was looking at him, and more and more he could tell she recognized him, and it amazed him so much.  "Well, I really wanted to be there.  No matter how many times you said I didn't need to be."  He finally looked over at her.  "So, any restrictions still?  Anything we need to look out for?"

Julie shook her head.  "I am surprised you waited a whole two minutes to ask by that question.  I'm good.  Everything's healed.  No worries, no problems.  But, we still have a six week old baby, and it's still a lot."