13.

Who am I? Someone that's afraid to let go, uh
You decide if you're ever gonna let me know (Yeah)
Suicide if you ever try to let go, uh
I'm sad, I know, yeah, I'm sad, I know, yeah
Who am I? Someone that's afraid to let go, uh
You decide if you're ever gonna let me know (Yeah)
Suicide if you ever try to let go, uh
I'm sad, I know, yeah, I'm sad, I know, yeah
: SAD!!! by Xxxtentacion

                        ~Kami~
               "You so clingy," Hakeem chuckled.
               "I know," I laughed dryly.
               "What's the matter baby?" He asked kissing my forehead.
               "I'm not feeling well and I gotta work. I wish you could just pay me for the day," I mumbled.
                "Nah sis, you on a salary now. You ain't about to break me," he chuckled. I kissed his lips and got up, so I could get dressed. It's been about two weeks since I found out I was pregnant. I haven't told Hakeem yet, but he's gonna figure it out soon. My stomach is getting bigger and I'm more clingy than usual. I haven't had morning sickness, thank GOD.
               I put on some navy blue slacks and a red blouse. I look so different from the old me. I haven't taken an antidepressant in I don't know how long. I just feel so protected around Hakeem. So safe. So loved.
                "I'm going with Lanky and Ryder today. I got some business to handle," he stated.
                "Don't hurt yourself Hakeem," I told him.
               "I'm not Love. I love you," he kissed my lips.
               "I love you too," I told him. Then he kissed my forehead. I smiled.
                "I'll see you later baby." I headed to my car. My job was actually fun. Well it's something I wanna do, so I enjoy it a lot. I have the valet my keys and headed up to my cubicle.
                I was a little early today. So I had to come up with a marketing plan for a new drink, we're bringing out. I opened my computer and began working on the executive summary first and foremost. We were on a budget, so I would probably go with my least expensive brainstorm idea first.
             "Ms. Gaines, we have a meeting," Mr. Mackey said. I stood up and followed him into his office. My colleagues slowly trickled in.
              "I'm setting the release of Cooga Juice back, so the marketing plans are due one week from the original date. But I need you all to come up with a new product and slogan to release during the time Cooga Juice was supposed to be released. Can you all handle two marketing plans?"
                  "Of course. We're working on our options now," our team leader told him.
                "Good, I'll be going now," Mackey nodded. Then he left.
                 "We need to get rid of any weak links. We now have two marketing plans in a tight deadline. New girl-"
             "Ms. Gaines," I corrected her.
             "Right, your maternity leave will have to be denied. Two weeks max is all we can give you," she stated.
             "I'm sorry, what?" I asked.
             "We have deadlines to meet. You should've known better getting pregnant as soon as you got a new job anyways," she shrugged.
                "You cannot do that. My contract guarantees me a 6 week's leave," I shook my head.
              "If approved by me and I denied it. I need proof of pregnancy," she shrugged. "Or you're fired. In other news, I need individual plans by next week. We need to narrow it down. Get back to work."
               "Can she do that?" I asked Harold. He shrugged.
               "I've never been pregnant, so I don't know," he replied. I headed back to my cubicle.
               "That's sexual discrimination," I mumbled to myself. Then I got a message on my phone.
A'Keem: Kari told us that you're pregnant. We sent her over there to check on you and of course you had a nigga over there. Kami, if you're pregnant by Trevor, we're gonna have problems. He married Flower yesterday. And I don't think it's a good idea for Kari to be around you. You're a horrible role model. Get your shit together. Until then, we will continue to not speak to you.
                "Could this day get any worse?" I muttered turning my phone off. The day crept by slowly. The team manager kept throwing slick remarks at me. I clocked out and ran to my car. Then I called Hakeem.
              "Who is this?" A female's voice asked.
              "Where's Hakeem?"
              "Oh this must be his little homewrecking hoe. He's busy with me and his son. Later on he'll just be busy with me though," she said.
              "Put Hakeem on the phone," I said.
              "I'm busy!" I heard a voice yell. I wasn't quite sure it was him though.
              "Who's that?" Somebody asked.
               "Some hoe," the girl replied.
               "Hang up." And she did. I pulled into my driveway and took out my antidepressants. I turned the bottle over in my hand.
              No. I'm better than this. My baby doesn't deserve this. I walked into my house and it was dark. Really dark. I gave as Michael caught me by my neck. He slammed me into the wall.
                  I coughed as he held me with one hand and worked to undo his pants with the other hand. I kicked and screamed and kicked. He let me go and pulled his gun out of his pants.
               "Scream again!" He snapped. He tossed a pill at me. "Take it!" He snapped. I shook my head at him. He hit me with the gun and I fell back. He forced the pill in my mouth. I didn't swallow it though. He grabbed my face and poured some type of liquor down my throat forcing me to swallow the pill.
               "I like it when you resist Kami. It makes it fun," he chuckled pointing the gun in my face. Hakeem taught me how to take a gun. I can take it. I was too slow. He wasn't paying attention though. I managed to get the gun and shot it. I don't know if it hit him or not because I ran as fast as I could to the bathroom. I locked the door. Then I heard beating on it. I began backing up, then I slipped and fell into the tub. Everything hurts. I looked to the side and winced. My bag. The pills. They'll stop the pain. I dumped the rest of the bottle into my mouth and before I knew it, I saw black. Just black.
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
                        ~Hakeem~
                  "No phones," Pun stated. I sighed handing my phone to Tyla, who was his younger sister. I really need to stop dating drug dealers sisters. Somebody gonna kill me one day. Then again, I do plan on marrying my love, so I should be fine.
             "If Love calls me, knock on the door. I ain't stunting that shit he talking," I told her.
              "I got you," she rolled her eyes.
              "Don't answer my phone Tyla," I stated. "Make sure she don't answer my phone." Dinky nodded.
               We went into the conference room. "What was that about your phone?" Pun asked.
              "Gotta make sure my lady alright," I replied. He nodded.
              "Anyways, about Big Cheese. He started all this damn commotion cause of Nadia. Who stabbed you has yet to be determined, so I say we just kill all of them," Ryder stated.
             "Big Cheese reached out on some apologizing shit though. He don't know who stabbed Hakeem either," Lanky shrugged.
             "I say your bitch set you up cause she was holling before you was even stabbed," Dante said.
            "This meeting is over," I stood up.
           "Where you going?" Pun asked.
          "Home to my girl. I'll get whoever stabbed me. Your man's over there on some bald head hoe shit," I told him. Ryder chuckled shaking his head as he and Lanky stood up. Pun stiffled a laugh.
             "I heard you ain't the only dude she fucking with anyways. Ole girl a hoe."
            "Well she my hoe now and you gone respect her or we gone have fucking problems," I told him. Pun gave him a look.
              "My bad. But she probably know who stabbed you," he muttered.
              "We out," I stated. I got my phone from Tyla. "Why you answer my damn phone?" I shook my head calling Love back. Tyla mumbled something, but I was already gone with Lanky and Ryder behind my back. "Why she won't answer the phone? Tyla lucky Pun good business cause I'll slap the fuck out of her and be waiting on him."
               "We ain't even out these people spot yet," Lanky chuckled.
              "I don't give a fuck," I muttered.
              "Where you going?" Ryder asked.
             "Love's," I replied.
             "I don't know why you deal with her," he shook his head.
             "She actually been chilling lately," Lanky defended her.
             "I don't give up on people going through rough patches. Especially not people I love. I knew she was going to be special when we saw her 10 years ago," I replied.
             "She was running back home after being kidnapped. You should've known she come from a crazy family. She's a Gaines," Ryder stressed.
             "What you want me to do Ryder? Change her last name?" I asked him.
              "The opposite actually," he replied. Lanky just laughed. He pulled into her driveway.
               "Why her house so dark?" He asked.
                "I don't know. Lemme check this shit out."
                "Nigga you crippled in case you didn't know," Lanky stated.
                "Yeah, we coming too," Ryder said and we all got out of the car. Her door was unlocked which was unusual. I flipped on the light and saw blood on the floor and a picture hanging half off the wall.
                "A'Kami!" I yelled. I raced into her guestroom and I saw pills on the bed. I shook my head going into her room. Nothing. It hadn't been touched since this morning. I tried to open her bathroom door, but it was locked.
              "A'Kami! A'Kami let me in!" I yelled wiggling the knob.
             "Move," Lanky said and he kicked in the door. She was in the bathtub. Her body positioned as if she had fallen. There was blood on her face. I raced over to her and pulled her out of the tub. Her pill bottle was empty except for two pills.
                "Fuck!" I yelled out.
                "We gotta get her to the hospital," Ryder said taking her out of my hands. Fuck! I grabbed her bag and we headed to the car. Ryder drove full speed to the hospital. The nurses immediately took her back.
             "You need to call her family," Lanky told me.
             "Call Kino. He can call them." After about five minutes, Lanky spoke again.
             "Kino not answering."
             "Fuck man," I sighed. I pulled her phone out of her bag and found Trevor's number.
              "Kami don't call my man no more."
             "Do I sound like Kami! Put your nigga on the phone!"
             "Yo if this Kami dude, we ain't even cool no more."
              "Call her family and tell them we at East Baptist," I said.
              "Is she okay?"
              "Do what the fuck I said!" I snapped and hung up the phone. I'm assuming he did because half an hour later Kino, his wife, and six other people appeared.
               "What happened?" Kino asked me. But the doctor came out.
                 "Family of A'Kami Gaines," she said. I stood up. Her brother, most definitely, mugged me.
                  "Ms. Gaines is suffering from head trauma. She received a blow to the head, her back is bruised as far as external injuries. Ms. Gaines overdosed on her antidepressants, but we managed to recesitate her. We also found traces of marijuana, cocaine, and Percocet in her bloodstream. We believe this came from a small street drug called a molly. We currently have her on life support. Mostly for the baby's benefit. Usually in this case, we would take the child, but she's only 18 weeks, so we're not sure if the baby would survive," she explained.
               "What's wrong with the baby?" Kari asked.
               "His lungs are not developing correctly, so we wanna monitor them. The police would like to speak with who found her."
              "We ain't talking to the police," Ryder stated simply.
              "What the fuck y'all do to my sister!" Her brother snapped.
               "We saved your damn sister!" Ryder snapped back.
                "You drugged my sister!" He turned to me. "You supposed to be her nigga! You staying with her. Tell me what happened!"
                "I don't owe you no fucking explanation. All you did was fucking judge her and cut her off. Get the fuck out of my face!"
              Kino grabbed him. "Chill A'Keem," he told him. "Tristan you owe them an explanation."
             "I don't owe them shit. They wouldn't even listen to her when she tried to tell them what the fuck was going on. I'll handle it myself," I shrugged.
               "How long do you think she'll be here?" Her dad asked the doctor.
              "She can be released as early as a week, but we recommend 4 to 6 weeks," she started.
             "Hell naw! Pops she staying here two week max, then she going to rehab," A'Keem told Jamal.
               "No she not. She staying here the full six weeks," I told him.
               "Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do with my damn sister!" He snapped at me.
              "Okay, sirs calm down. As long as Ms. Gaines is unconscious I'm supposed to listen to her primary care-taker, which is listed as Hakeem Ealey in our records," she stated.
               "That's me," I said showing her my ID.
              "That's bullshit! I'm her brother and this our damn father!" He snapped.
              "She can sign herself out earlier if she chooses to, but until this week is up, Mr. Ealey will make all choices concerning Ms. Gaines. It's the law," she explained. "I'm gonna go check on her now." She left.
              "Who the fuck are you? Trevor was the one that called us and told us that Kami was in the hospital. Where he at?" Her other brother questioned.
             "I told y'all she had a boyfriend. This is him," Kari mumbled.
               "Is Kami okay?" Some girl ran in with Trevor.
               "She will be," Kari told her. Kino sat beside me.
               "What happened?" He asked.
               "Michael your brother right?" I asked.
              "Yeah but I haven't heard from him in years years, not since the kidnapping," he muttered.
                "Well you ain't gonna ever hear from that nigga again because I'm gonna kill him," I told him.
                "What Michael do?" He asked confused.
                 "That kidnapping fucked her up more than anybody think Kino. She wasn't a hoe. She just wanted something between her legs because he raped her. And he continued doing it because they didn't kill his ass. They let him go, but that shit ain't flying with me Kino. Your brother is dead," I told him. He was quiet for a moment.
                "Let me help you," he said and shook my hand.

Dope_Ahh_Cam