/31/

L U K E

"On a scale from one to ten, how much did you miss Sam while she was gone?" Calum asks me as he sits down next to me. We're in the studio and Ashton is currently recording.

Sam is coming home today. Her flight leaves at five, California time, so she won't be home until later tonight.

I scoff. "I didn't even miss her," I lie and Calum shakes his head at me.

Okay, I missed her a fucking lot, but Calum doesn't need to know that. Only Sam needs to know what and as soon as she's home, I'm probably gonna go over there.

I want to see her and kiss her. I want her to tell me about the wedding and if she had a nice time, even though I'm still annoyed that Dylan went with her. I want her to talk endlessly so that I can listen to her. I wonder if she missed me.

"What time will she be home?" Michael asks as he looks up from his phone.

"I don't know, later," I shrug. I really don't know. I'm just waiting for her to call me or text me so that she can tell me.

We've been in the studio for nearly five hours, recording non stop. I wanna go home, but I want to see Sam. Then I think about the fact that she's been in a plane for like, four hours so maybe she should get some rest first.

Hours later, when I'm in the living room watching a movie alone, there's a knock on the door. I don't know who it could possibly be. Usually we have friends over, or it's a food delivery because none of us cook. We'd probably burn the fucking house down.

I get up and walk over to the front door. When I open the door, it's Sam, and right away I can tell something is wrong. Fuck, something is very wrong. She's been crying and I don't know the reason, but I don't like that she's not happy.

"Baby," I coo when I pull her inside and hug her. I'm not very good at comforting people. I don't even like seeing people cry around me, but I have to make Sam feel better. "What happened? Did Dylan do something to you? I swear to God, if he did something, Sam, I'm-"

I stop when she shakes her head and sighs deeply. I don't know what could have possibly happened that has made her so unhappy, but this fucking sucks. I don't know what to even say or do, all I know is that I don't want her to be sad.

"Tell me what's wrong, babe, talk to me," I tell her when she stays silent again. We walk together to the living room, where we sit down on the couch, and I shut off the tv. "Sam, please tell me what's wrong."

Sam's never acted this way around me, and I don't like it at all. I've seen her mad, I've seen her happy, I've seen her annoyed, but never have I seen her sad.

She takes my hand in hers and looks down. "When I was in California, I was at my old house and I was in my old room," she finally speaks. "And there were pictures of me with my parents all the places we went and doing the things we used to do. And I couldn't stop thinking how my dad won't walk me down the isle and how my mom won't see me in my dress and, God, I'm just so - I miss them so much, this isn't fair, Luke," she's crying now, and she's crying hard and I don't know what to do.

So I just hug her again and she cries into my shoulder, calmer this time.

"Hey, it's okay, Sam. You're okay," I tell her. I don't know what to say. What do you even say to someone when they're upset about something like this? "I'm sorry, Sam. I know it's not fair."

I actually don't know. I have no idea what this must feel like because my parents are still here.

Sam nods against my shoulder as I run a hand through her hair. "I hate crying, damn it. I should have probably told you I was coming over, I'm s-"