38

L U K E

Sam is over and is ranting to me about school or something. I'm sitting on my bed while she paces back and forth in my room. I'm not really paying attention because I'm mainly focusing on how great her ass looks in those damn jeans.

Anyway, so I guess she's supposed to graduate in April, but now she may have to wait until May because the advisors, or whatever, fucked up her graduation application.

"And now!" She nearly shouts. "Now I have to meet with the academic advisors so that they can fix this for me! I did this online so I wouldn't have to go and deal with them! Oh my God, I am so-" she lets out a girly groan and stomps her foot on the floor.

Honestly, she is one of the weirdest girls I've ever met. Sam is nice, she really is, but there is so much more to her than that. She's so stubborn and I, for some reason, find that so damn attractive about her. I think she's funny, even if he says she isn't.

"Babe, you need to chill," I laugh and she scoffs.

Her eyebrows crease, making her nose wrinkle in a cute way. "Chill your own ass," Sam replies and crosses her arms over her chest.

I point a finger at her, trying to keep a straight face. "Be nice," but I lose and end up laughing at her words.

"I'm just so mad. I wanna graduate," She whines and walks over to me. She stands at the end of the bed, leaning on it. Her lips have turned into a pout as she makes a noise and then throws herself down onto the bed. She lands flat on her face. "Ow," I hear her say into the mattress.

"Are you okay?" I ask her and poke her shoulder.

She doesn't say anything and the room is silent until my phone starts ringing. It's on the bedside table and I am too fucking lazy to reach for it so I just let it continue to ring.

"Luke, your phone. It's annoying," she whines and turns her head so that the side of her face is resting on the mattress.

"You're annoying," I scoff. She is being a little annoying today, but she's still cute. Her palm comes in contact with my butt when I turn so that I can reach over for my stupid phone. "No one slaps my butt without my consent!" I shout as I grab the phone.

Sam laughs and when I look at my phone, I feel like I can't hear anything else but the ringing.

"Are you gonna answer it or not?" Sam asks me as she lays on me, her chest pressed against my back.

"It's my dad," I tell her. "What should I do?" I ask her and I feel her shrug. She mumbles something, but I'm not listening because my mind is currently screaming at me. The ringing stops and I'm relieved. He's left no voicemail.

Before I can even set my phone back down, it starts to ring once more. It's him again. Without thinking, I answer the phone call. "What?" I snap.

I haven't spoken to him in a very, very long time. Or seen him, for that matter. But if he's constantly calling like this, then he must want something. I can't even remember what he looks like. I don't know his new wife or his kids and I don't really want to know them anyway. They don't mean anything to me and neither does my dad.

"Luke," he gasps. He sounds... Older. I don't know because I'm not really sure how old he is now. "Son, how are you?"

I seriously want to fucking throw up, not only because I'm talking to him, but because he called me son. "Don't. Just - what do you want?"

I hear him sigh and I reach behind me, grabbing Sam's arm and wrapping it around me. My hand tangles in hers and I can't help the way I'm holding it tightly. "I want to see you. I need to talk to you."