Chapter 12: Belated Birthday

It's Friday, the first night of Christmas break, and I'm getting ready for my "surprise" belated birthday party. The girls planned the entire night out. I know bits and pieces of what's happening but they still have some tricks up their sleeves.

This week sucked. Starting with Monday, nothing got better. I haven't talked to Sam since our encounter and I have a feeling tonight isn't gonna change that. Jack tried hanging out with me all week but I blew him off every time. I don't know if he knows something's up. 

Just finishing my hair, I slip on my heels and take a look in the mirror. The tight black dress hugs my curves and makes my butt look amazing. I smile to myself in the mirror, knowing the boys will be looking tonight. I grab my coat off of my desk chair and toss my lipstick, keys, and wallet into my purse. Mara is supposed to be picking me up at 7.  I walk down to the kitchen and Mom is picking through a bowl of fruit.

"We need to throw the grapes out, they're bringing in fruit flies," I say, taking a seat at the island.

"Well don't you look nice," she said, looking me up and down smiling.

I stand up and twirl for her.

"How'd you curl your hair?" she asked.

"With the straightener. The curling iron wasn't doing what I wanted it to tonight," I said, popping a blueberry in my mouth. "Shouldn't these be in the fridge?"

"I just took them out. I was gonna make a fruit salad for yoga tomorrow," she said.

"Dad's not home yet?" I ask, looking around.

"Nope. His meetings went late again," she made a face. I smiled, shaking my head.

The front door opens and I expect it to be Dad but Mara strides in, all smiles.

"Well look at my two favorite women, gossiping and eating fruit," she cooes, walking over to Mom and giving her a hug.

"Where are you ladies off to tonight?" Mom asks, getting excited.

"It's a surprise, Gretchen! Can't give away anything in front of the birthday girl," Mara says, exaggerating her words.

"Belated birthday girl," I correct.

"Belated, yes," she gives me a look, "Well, we gotta get going but I promise to come over and chat over tea and biscuits sometime soon," Mara says in her best British accent, kissing Mom on both cheeks and hugging her goodbye.

I kiss Mom goodbye and dash out the door with Mara.

"So what's the plan, Stan?" I ask, hoping into her passenger seat.

 "We're meeting everyone at the first place we're going to tonight," Mara says, pulling out of my driveway and speeding down the street.

She gets on the highway and off again after two exits. We're in the outskirts of Omaha. She pulls into the parking lot of a quaint little restaurant. It looks like a hobbit house from the outside. We get out and I look at her, as if to ask where the hell we are. She smiles and starts walking to the restaurant. We stop right outside the door. I look through the windows and all the lights are off.

"Are we breaking in or something? I said I wanted to do something big, I didn't mean get arrested for breaking and entering," I whisper harshly.

I hear footsteps approaching behind us and I jump, spinning around, slightly losing my balance in these heels. A sigh of relief comes when I see it's just Nate and Sam.

"You guys scared the shit of out me!" I whipser, pushing Nate in the shoulder. He laughs.

"We ready?" he asks, turning to Mara.