Chapter 7: Game Night

"Are you gonna wear Sam's jersey?" Harley asked, pulling on her basketball hoodie.

"I think Remy will probably wear it," I said.

We were getting ready for the boys' basketball game at Harley's house. She had just gotten back from her away game. 

"You have his from last year though," Mara presses.

"Guys, drop it. I don't think it would be right," I sigh.

"Who gives a shit! You've always worn his jersey to the first game against Millard North. Ever since 7th grade you've always been his number one fan. Why should that stop now? It's senior year for crying out loud," Harley huffed, throwing her hands up.

"Sammy would want you to, you know that," Mara agreed. She was wearing Nate's.

"Alright, fine." I walk over to my bag and pull out his old jersey. He had sprayed it with his cologne to mask the boy smell. Even though he had washed it multiple times, it still smelled like boy. I take off my shirt, revealing my white lace bra. Harley smirks. "Cute," she says. I roll my eyes. I put on a white long sleeve shirt and then pull #11 over my head and look in the mirror. I trace the numbers, reminiscing in last year's season when Sam took me out onto the court after a huge win against Creighton Prep. He spun me around and the team came and surrounded us. Everyone was cheering. That night was when I realized I truly loved Sam. 

I turn to the girls and take a deep breath. "Happy?"

They smile and throw on their coats. We all ride in Mara's car and meet Cassie at school.

"Hey, cutie. I like your jersey," Cassie cooes.

I bat my eyes and curtsy. "Why thank you," I said.

We walk into the gym and the student section is already going crazy. We find Ollie sitting with our group of seniors. We kiss and hug hello and I take off my coat. I sit down and see Sam and Nate warming up. Sam's making every free throw he shoots. They go to 3-pointers and he meets my eyes, kisses his fingers and points to me; he looks back and shoots the ball, making it going in with a swish. I smile and shake my head. He turns back to me and flashes me a cheeky grin.

"God, he's hot," I hear Veronica say behind me. "Audrey, why didn't you ever hit that?"

A couple senior girls giggle and ask me why, too.

I keep my eyes on the court. "He has a small dick," I say with a sly smile.

All the girls around me gasp and giggle. Mara hits me. Harley, Cassie, and I start laughing.

The game is about to start and I see the Jacks walking in with a group of guys. They make their way over to us and Jack climbs up to me. He leans down and kisses me on the cheek.

"Hello," he says, sitting down in front of me. 

"Hi," Mara and Harley say in unison. I giggle.

He turns around to face them. "Hi girls," he purrs. I slide down next to him and link my arm with his. I look up at him and smile. He kisses my forehead. I turn back to the court and see Sam looking at me. His eyebrows are knit together, confused, and his fist clenched. He looks away quickly and back to his team. I see Remy sitting in Millard North's student section but she's not wearing Sam's jersey. Probably because everyone would give her a hard time for it. I don't realize I'm staring till Jack waves his hand in front of me.

"You heard?" he asks, chuckling.

"Heard what?" I say, shaking my head.

"Do you always wear Sam's jersey?" he asks again.

"Oh, uh. Yeah. For the first game of every season against Millard North," I tell him.

"So it's like tradition?" 

"Yeah. The girls were giving me a hard time because I almost didn't, but I don't wanna be the reason we lose tonight so I just wore it," I confessed.

"Nice," he said.

Sam was going harder than normal tonight. He pushed through two players to get a layup and they ended up fouling him. How that happened, I couldn't tell you. I turn to Harley. "Um, wasn't that all him?"

She shrugs her shoulders. "I guess the refs are on our side tonight."

Sam goes for his foul shots and makes both. He pulls back and Nate runs down to get the defense. Jake, Harley's boyfriend, tries to make a pass to one of his teammates but Sam intercepts and takes the ball down the court. Before anyone is able to catch up, he makes another layup and jogs around the edge of the court in front of the student section. Everyone's cheering, the band is playing and he makes eye contact with me. The corners of my mouth turn up into a small smile and he looks away.

 After the game, the girls and I walk over to the team's chairs and wait for their coach to stop talking. Nate walks over to us and Mara pulls him into a hug. "Congrats, baby," she squeals. Sam slugs over to us. Every game has a different impact on him. I grin and jump into his arms.

"You were on fire tonight!" I say with joy.

He lets out a short laugh and he puts me down. I turn to Harley and give her my phone. Mara and Nate come over to us and we all pose for a picture. Sam and I pose for separate pictures after; I kiss him on the cheek in one and in another he points to my jersey, cheesing big.

"You should post a throw-back-Thursday, Aud," Nate grins.

"Or a transformation Tuesday," Mara offers.

"I have to go to the locker room. I'll be back," Sam says, letting go of me and pushing his way through the crowd. Nate follows. 

I see Remy standing with her friends by the locker room entrance. She calls Sam over but Sam's expression is still pissed. She kisses him and he embraces her and disappears into the locker room. Cassie saw the exchance too.

"What's up with him?" she asks.

"I think it might have to do with me," I said.

"And Jack," Harley says, rolling her eyes.

"He's so messed up. He's the one that didn't want anyting. Let it go, Sam. Jeez," Mara huffs.

I find Jack by the main entrance. I grab his hand and lace our fingers together. We walk out to Mara's car and Cassie pulls up next to us. "What's the plan for tonight, ladies?"

Graham walks out with Johnson and he approaches Cassie's car. He leans down on her door and kisses her.

"Hi, babe. Sorry I didn't sit with you. Had to give all my support to Millard, but clearly it didn't help," he said.

"It's all good, babe. Sorry we beat you," she teases.

Mara breaks up the lovey-dovey couple. "Guys, what's the plan?" 

Graham stands up. "J and I were planning on chilling with Sam and everybody. You guys down?"

"Yes," Harley answered quickly.

"My house in 30 minutes," Graham said. He kisses Cas goodbye and he and J walk off.

"I'll see you there. I'm gonna ride with them," Jack says, kissing me on the cheek and running off to catch up with them.

"Are we gonna wait for Sam and Nate?" Cassie asks.

"I'll text Nate and just tell him we'll meet them at Graham's," Mara said.

I opened Cassie's door and slid into her passenger seat. We followed Mara to Harley's house and hung out there eating mac n cheese until it was time to head to Graham's.

"This should be interesting," Cassie says, washing out her dish. 

"Do you think they'll get in a fist fight?" Mara laughs.

"Oh my God, guys. Stop, this isn't funny," I groan.

On the car ride to Graham house, I'm sitting in the back seat. I lean my head back and close my eyes. Why is Sam being like this? He let me go. He has a girlfriend. I'm trying to move on. Jack came out of nowhere and captivated me. He caught me off guard. I'm praying things will be alright tonight.