Chapter 51

"Daddy, daddy, look, look what I got!" Yvette screamed, sticking her phone under her father's nose. Her eyes were filled with tears and she was trembling like a leaf again.

"I've always loved you all, please forgive me. I had to do it. S."

When Adrian had read the text message, he cursed briefly. "I knew it, I knew it!!!" The baker was filled with anger and it took him several hours to calm down even a little. It was at the same time that the video interview with Sofia was released to the world. A few hours later, the internet was full of it. It went viral and the online portal of the daily had a hard time withstanding the traffic demands of so many new visitors. The short article with the video was immediately adopted by all the important foreign mass media. La Repubblica promised a lengthier article in the printed issue of the paper the following morning. Bernard had immediately got the instructions to go and buy it as soon as it was out.

The five of them were terrified from the little they were able to grasp from Sofia's video. Mr. Tom constantly had problems understanding it. Bernard was silent which was always a bad sign. Julian was gesturing wildly again, organising demonstrations on social networks. Apart from that, everyone was interested in Sofia the most, of course. Where was she? What was she planning to do? Was she even still alive? Yvette hadn't stopped crying since she'd received Sofia's message. Julian and her father were trying in vain to calm her down. The past tense in the text message clearly indicated that Sofia was aware of her fate. Where was that girl from the shop next door?! What had happened? All these people in the shopping centre on the edge of the city, far from Rome, were worried about the fate of Sofia Snow, she who was just about to confront it.